Saturday, October 2, 2010

Still Leslie


Book club the other night was a small group - only six of us. It was a mish-match of women of all ages and interests. Our love of books has brought us together! A couple recently out of college gals, one chiropractor, a newly retired chick and two old (longtime) friends.

We read a book on early onset Alzheimer's called "Still Alice", written from the viewpoint of Alice - so the quality of the writing understandably went downhill through the book. I wondered if the younger women would enjoy the book as Deb (my bestest bud) and I did, since they're not close to 50 yet, the age when this dreaded illness overtook Alice, a Harvard Professor.

They liked it! We all agreed, writing the book from Alice's perspective was the key to making this book a winner. It scared the hell out of us! Alice had a series of questions in her Blackberry and told herself if she couldn't answer the Qs to go to a file on her computer. We find out later for suicide information. The book was terrifying - to see what Alice went through. Losing her mind slowly and knowing it.

Of course by that time she's too far gone to understand. Sad. We had some good conversations about "what would we do?" It's easy for me to think I'd like to "end it" when I got to the point that I was going to just be a burden. But when one got to that point, you wouldn't be able to do it yourself!

Our brother-in-law Irvin "Hap" Meyer died from this disease when he was only in his mid 50's. He was Paul's sister Carol's husband. I remember when the illness began - at least was recognized. Hap would obsess about a low tire over and over. Eventually he was in a nursing home and then a secure facility - the progression took only 5 years or so, though I'm sure it had been going on before we even knew.
Hap died sadly and badly in a nursing home too young.

While reading this book, I drove to Wal Mart in Creston and realized I'd forgotten my purse at home. Great...the disease is starting! Plus I've got all those names swimming around in my head but can I come up with the ones I want - sometimes no. It's maddening!

For now I'm putting it off to hormones and normal aging and stress. I'm not ready to get the suicide kit ready. But my sis Cindo and I have joked about slipping something into each other's sorbet when the time is right, so we can slip gently into oblivion. She says her son Colby won't go to prison for her. But hell...I'll be a little old lady myself - who would suspect me? For now I'm still alive and kicking and I'm going to have some fun!

No comments: