Thursday, October 28, 2010

My fave movie of all time


I have confidence - at least that's what I sing to myself when I need a boost. It's one of the songs I love from my favorite movies of all time, "The Sound of Music". I first saw the movie at one of the fancy theaters - probably in Omaha, but I was young enough that I'm not sure. It was likely 1965 so I was 8.

I have blogged about the movie before - mostly about Deb and my adventure attending "Sing Along Sound of Music" a few years ago. Today I watched the S O M reunion show on Oprah - got home from my week in DSM just in time to catch most of the show. There was even a clip of the real Maria with Julie Andrews singing Edelweiss together - excellent!


It's a long movie with an intermission in the middle - so folks can go get popcorn and go tinkle. I love the movie start to finish - from the opening shot of Maria lost in the beauty of the "hills" that are alive. Then of course she realizes she's late to chapel and the nuns are singing about her. The Reverend Mother sends her to be a nanny.

She wears that ugly dress and rides the bus - singing the confidence song. That song has helped me on the way to job interviews and speaking engagements through the years. If Fraulein Maria can get through those rowdy children and the Nazis I can deal with my life! On to teaching the children how to sing and falling in love with the Captain.

Every kid loves the puppet show part of the movie! Oh how I wanted to operate those puppets - the little goats. My most favorite part of the movie is during the party - the children are dancing. Maria tries to show Frederich how to do the Austrian folk dance, the Landler when Captain steps in. So romantic! And the adorable children do the goodbye song.

Of course the evil Baroness can't help herself, she has to drive Maria away. The wise Reverend Mother sends Maria back telling her to climb every mountain. I walked up the aisle to the S O M Wedding March 28 years ago. And no - nobody sang "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Leslie".

The silly bowing woman at the sad sweet show at the end when the whole family sings for Austria always cracks me up. I always hope Rolf won't blow his whistle in the cemetery - but he does. And those kick-ass nuns go confess they have sinned by messing up the Nazi car distributor caps.

The last we see of the Von Trapps, they are climbing the beautiful mountains to freedom. Ah how I love the movie! This is the 45th Anniversary of the movie and the children are coming out with a book soon. I think I need to watch it again soon...

4 comments:

Kris said...

Did you know that the MacNider Art Museum in Mason City has the largest collection of puppets from the puppeteer that made the ones for the Sound of Music, including the puppets from the movie? I went there a month or so ago and it's really cool, with two whole rooms full of puppets. Next time you swing by this way, you should check it out!

lgold said...

I knew about museum but had forgotten about it - thanks for reminding me!

amy e. goldsmith said...

someone said something about pinecones yesterday and i go "pinecones remind me of sound of music!" they had no clue what i was talking about. do you?!

lgold said...

At that first meal, the kids put a pine cone on Maria's chair - and she says "lumbago" so they don't get in trouble with the captain...