Friday, October 22, 2010

Fender bender and cracker


After millions (okay maybe tens of thousands) of miles under my belt, I'm going to have an insurance claim thanks to what I now think was a dog. At first I thought perhaps it was a small deer that caused the havoc. But Sherlock Pablo has studied the evidence - hair and poop left on my car - and he has proclaimed, "deer don't have poop like that." Which makes me sad. I didn't want it to be a dog. ;>(

I had a long day on the road Thursday, starting at 6 a.m. in a state van. I picked up Angie and Becky in Newton. We headed on to an all meeting outside Dubuque at a beautiful little winery. No we didn't get to drink wine all day - it was work, remember!?! We were talking Environmental Management Systems - my baby, my program - the one I made a video about etc. We didn't get back to Newton until 6 PM, DSM 7ish, so it was nearly 8 PM when I got to that stretch of road in my own little Subaru.

The animal came shooting into the night from the i-80 median right before the Earlham exit. I had a fraction of a second of it in my vision - not enough time to even react, thank goodness because they say you shouldn't and the Interstate was fairly crowded. So it was a quick bump/thump. I can't recall if I passed over it, but Odie sure has been interested in the undercarriage of the Subaru since I got home. (Watson/Odie to Paul's Sherlock?)

I was concerned about damage of course so I whipped off at the Earlham exit at the Kum and Go to check out what I could see. Fog light looked gone. Cracked bumper but no damage to the tire and no rubbing on wheel. Phew. Dripping is a bad sign, but opening the hood I saw that it was the wiper fluid only. My adrenalin seeped away. I had to drive the rest of the way home so I needed to calm down.

I dislike night driving. I dislike the hassle of working with insurance companies. Damn! This is hard to believe - knock on wood and all other substances of luck - but we haven't had an vehicle insurance claim in over ten years. Maybe longer. Shocking when you consider we now have 2 twenty-something children.

Good job Amy and Jud on getting through your teen years without mishap! Please continue your good driving habits all throughout your lives and you'll be rewarded with lower insurance rates. I'm awaiting a call now from our friendly (I hope) insurance adjuster. Tick, tick, tick.

No comments: