Friday, October 8, 2010

Trip with my boy Elroy, Baby girl's Iowa trip


Of course his name is really Judson David Goldsmith. He's named after my dog Jud. Who was named after my dad David Judson Bullock. The two of us drove to Kansas City at the Butt Crack of darkness this a.m.

Jud had an appointment with JC Penney - job shadow and interview at 9 a.m. We weren't sure how long it would take for us to get there, and exactly where we were going - the logistics warehouse in Lenexa. Google Map wasn't clear. So we left before 5 a.m.

Why did I go along? He called me Tuesday hemming and hawing (one of my mother's terms that I like to use) about whether or not he should go. It was a long drive from Ames for just job shadowing - what he thought he was asked to do. I spoke in favor of it, and offered to go along. He's going to Minneapolis Sunday to interview Monday for another job. Lots of driving.

But it was a very long drive earlier this week to Bettendorf and back to Des Moines. And I was tired from the conference - and the premier of the EMS video. Stressful and exciting! I arrived home last night exhausted with prep to do for today's trip to KC plus tailgating in Ames Saturday. Geez!

Lucky for me Pablo was all over dinner with a roast in the oven. Jud was in Creston already - doing laundry getting ready for his big day in KC. I needed to iron or he would call his rumpled clothes "good" and go as wrinkly college guy to his interview. Not over my dead body with an iron clutched in my hand!

I had a minor meltdown regarding tailgating prep. Paul got stuff for baked beans - though between the two of us they didn't get quite prepared correctly. Diana had to add the vinegar tonight!

I was also stressed about making the weekend perfect for our baby girl's trip to Ames. I don't feel like I've had adequate time to prepare. I hate that! At least the weather is cooperating. Yeah for Mother Nature! Watch for photos after Saturday.

Jud's JC Penney visit went well - I spent the morning in a Panera with a high school friend, Candice Drake, catching up. What fun! Then shopped a bit and picked Jud up around 2 PM and we were on our way home.

It was nice having the kid all to myself for those 6 hours during the drive. He told me about his other interviews and about a certain gal he's been "hanging out" with. Car time is a good non-threatening time to visit with kids I've learned. Good trip!

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

thank you for not putting that picture on fb. i look like a blonde asian.