Monday, October 11, 2010

Fantastic fam day











Saturday was one of those days - you know what I mean. The stars align - weather gods smile, everything clicks and the whole family ended up on the same page on the same google map in Ames, Iowa.

Amy drove all day Friday across the plateau of Nebraska to her home state of Ioway. She partied in Des Moines that night with college roomies Jenna and Rochelle along with home girl Stormdog. Jud and I had a looong day wheeling it to KC for the day for his job interview. He hotfooted it on to Ames that night while I melted into my easy chair in Crestonia alongside Pablo.

But Saturday our worlds collided at the campus of our beautiful Alma Mater, Iowa State University. Tailgating anyway. Paul and I took off just after 9 a.m. as we had some shoppin' to do at Jordan Creek. He needed a case for his bow and I wanted to get that purse I'd been eyeing at Dayton's. Plus we needed to help Jud out by getting his bday gift for Amy.

Got to McKim's RV about noon - only to find out that poor Donnie had the flu! We sprung into action helping set things up. Paul only got a few giant spots of grease on his shorts grilling. Geez! People started showing up to tailgate around 2:30 a.m. We served burgers and brats - Jud and roomies were hungry. Amy and Rachelle arrived around 3. So fun to see the kids together.

Later my buddy Deb showed up with her sidekick Larry. Jud's friend Kara even appeared before game time! It was such a gorgeous day - I was in 7th heaven. At least until the Clones got their asses handed to them by #10 Utah.

After the game Donnie was feeling better and McKims and Goldsmiths made history by being the oldest fans on Welch Avenue in the bars. We met the kids in Mickey's Pub and had a couple drinks. Man was it loud! Fun though - Jud was in such a great mood despite the ugly football game. Something I thought I'd never see. Amy and Rachelle were laughing about old times. Memories being made.

I'm still basking in the afterglow of it all. I'm a lucky gal!

No comments: