Sunday, October 17, 2010

Race day

This is one of Joan's 2008 shots - the IMT shot mentioned below is from the other side. It's really cool of Deb who has a jubilant look on her face.
It was Des Moines 1/2 marathon day, but I didn't race this year. But while I was walking this week in Waukee I decided it would be nice to go support my friends who were walking - Deb, Patti and Susan. I knew Bobbie's daughter and my lil buddy Kristina was running the race for the first time. Krissy lived with Joanie when I moved in as the third wheel. She was never an athletic type while a CHS student, though she was "flag girl". I know it doesn't sound athletic, but they practiced a great deal and it looked like hard work. So Bobbie and I took off at 7:30 this a.m. and had a leisurely breakfast before getting to the race site to await our friends/fam. Krissy's hubby Caleb was running too - we expected him at around 2 hours, so we situated ourselves along the route. I saw my sis-in-law Regina run by and tried catch up with her, but missed. In the meantime Caleb and Krissy finished - I missed the whole thing! Krissy rocked the race in a blistering pace - great job! After all that excitement we knew the homegirls would be coming in around 2 hr. 45 minutes - so back to the route watch. True to form the gals came jogging by at a pace of around 12 minute miles. Patti was driving them to walk their little asses very quickly. Slave driver! They were happy to see friendly faces cheering them on. I continue to be in awe of how great these women are - at training, walking and as people. And they are poster girls - the whole big group from 2008 is shown in a photo on the back of the IMT Marathon newsletter on the finish line. I finished a ways back from them - my 'ol bod just can't keep up the pace those ladies set. But I'll never forget that feeling of finishing in 2008, our first year. Training by myself - walking all those hours with time to ponder my future and to just plain think. So crossing that finish line was very emotional - my husband and friends were there to cheer me on. It was cool. So this year I was jealous that it wasn't me getting all the attention. Which gives me the incentive to train again for next year. Then walking back to the car my foot, broken last year, hurt. Must have been from watching all those tired walkers. Bobbie and I walked an hour this afternoon. It's a gorgeous day! I'm a lucky girl to have great (and very fit) friends. We talked of doing a race at a different venue next year. Points to ponder.

No comments: