Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful for

I'm thankful for many things in my life. Thought I'd list a few here:
  • My immediate family - starting with my life partner (and current Packer-watching) Pablo, and our children Amy, Judson and Patrick
  • My sisters:
  • Susan, funny & smart, someone I've always looked up to - she got her masters degree in Environmental Mgt. We tease her that now she's the matriarch of our family. Susi went away to college when I was 11. I missed her a lot. Her family - Jim and their kids David, Leslie and Jordy.
  • Cynthia, cool, someone people want to be around. Hard worker, and goofy like Dad. Cindy was my tormenter growing up, but we've become great friends - sharing our spring break in Florida for the past 10 years. Smart too -hey seems to be a theme with the Bullock gals. Hubby Bolder (Brian) and son Colby the chef.
  • Elizabeth, organized, smart and efficient. A great mother and Longaberger genius. Great sense of humor. Betso and I spent the most time together growing up. She was kind of a wiener then, but she's a mamma tiger now. Husband Dr. Wayne, kids Alex, Paul, Eric, Sarah and Baby David (he's 12 but will always be Baby David to our fam).
  • My sweet Aunties Marty and Jean and their fams.
  • My In-Laws - George and Laura passed away nearly 10 years ago now, but they left a fantastic legacy in their children who are all wonderful people. And they all married wonderful people. (like Pablo for example). Their children are all great too! The oldest Tom is only 6 years or so younger than Paul who is the baby of the fam (out of 9 kids). Amazing group - CPAs, an attorney, a couple physical therapists, salespeople - all seem to be wonderful parents to an increasing number of their own children. Great role models for our children.
  • My friends - hmm where to start? At the beginning -Robbie Dob, my oldest friend. Sal - her folks were like an aunt and uncle to me and college friend and roomie, Christie D, Mona, all my other homies - Julia, Pammy, Chris W, Candice, Paula, Sandy - and more. We had a great high school class ('76 rules!). Roger and Todd. Those girls from the class ahead of ours were a fun bunch too.
  • On to college where I hung out with people who helped shape my adult life - first of all Vicki. What a great person to meet the first day of college! Jane - another true blue friend. Those two along with Sal and myself made up The Big 4. Moose and Steve - my first guy buddies. Jane Ertl. Pablo's friends who became mine - Mike and Tom. Schneid. Brad. Bobby Fitz. And though I didn't know her well in college, one of my good friends Kay (Moose's wife). Nothing like old friends - you can pick up right where you left off, and no use pretending you're someone you're not. They already know your warts.
  • Post college - people I've met through jobs and Paul's co-workers. Karla from Fox River who found me on Facebook. My Gits buds - CW, the twins and Jeanne, My trash friends - Christine, my 'lil buddy (cuz she's only 34), Susan, Pam and Barb - been hanging with those pretty ladies for the past 12 years. And now my new work buddies - Becky, Jim, Angie and heck yeah, even my boss Al. Kevin and Kim.
  • My homies - my besties - Deb and Bobbie. Dee, Sharon and the workout/breakfast gang Susan, Pat, Lucy, Linda, Nanc, Patti. I rely on these women in joy and in sadness. And I'll be there for them too. My roomie Joanie - I always knew she was nice, but living with her I realize how selfless she is. Our tailgating, lake going buddies - McKims, McFees, Higgins, Conovers. Mary F. Other assorted buddies like Alt L&P.
  • My book club - besides Deb, all these ladies were met through a mutual love of reading. I've enjoyed this group a great deal.
  • Other friends I'm not thinking of right now - like a star accepting an Oscar, I'm blanking on all the important people.
  • My health care providers - Dr. Wilcox (my doc growing up - used to come to our house and give me a shot in my butt - after taking my temp there) Dr. Hoyt, Sheryl, Dr. Buck, Donnie who puts up with my biffed up left eye.
  • The great pets I've been blessed to know. My Juddy doggy bro. Frosty and Jack my horses. Bucko evil kitty. Moki best dog evah. Samantha - "kitty". Odie lover of full grown people (she doesn't like kids).
  • My house - we moved here in 1998. I love our view, the neighborhood and the fact that I can live life upstairs. I don't like basements.
  • My job - a perfect fit for me. Doing what I love - feeling like I can make a difference. Getting paid decent and treated even better.
  • Little things like my laptop and my car.
  • My adult relationship with my kids. It's so fun to see our children grow up (yeah Patrick gypped us) and to get to know the people they've grown into. Can't wait to see what's next for them.
  • You readers. Though I'd do this blog without outside input, I value your eyes and input.
  • My Higher Power. I'm not quite sure what that means - still searching for a meaning in life. But this I know - there is something beyond this life of mine. Otherwise there would be no point. Nature is so beautiful. People can be so kind to others, and so brave. That comes from beyond humans - beyond this Earth. So thanks to you higher power, for all the great things in my life.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

wow, the accolades--I am not sure I can handle them all! Great to have a sister like you too Les--why is it that we appreciate our siblings so much more when they leave the nest? You are the woman with the best memory I ever have seen. You have done the best at all types of jobs from pumping gas to keeping things running smoothly at frozen food and sock peddlers. So, after you read this--give your sibling(s) a hug and remember they will be there for you!

amy e. goldsmith said...

way to use everyone's really proper name. i've never heard betsy called elizabeth before!