Sunday, November 8, 2009

Livin' in a small town

I like living in a small town (hmm isn't that a song - Springsteen perhaps??). Except when I don't.

There are some definite benefits. I should know - I grew up in one. Atlantic is very similar in size to Creston - except Atlantic has the snob factor. They're in Cass County - a tier of counties north and west of Union where Creston is. A bit better farmland, and a bit bigger heads.

When I was a kid, I'm sure I was one of the cocky ones - sure A-town was the bestest. I've described in this blog how great it was to grow up there. Biking all over our part of town. Walking downtown to purchase candy and scope out the toys at the five and dimes - Ben Franklin and Bonnesons.

I must fess up to my shoplifting experience. I once lifted some grape gum from Ben Franklins. After chewing it my Catholic guilt kicked in and I went back to the store and stuck a dime near the cash register for them to find. Way to go Sister Frances - you did your job putting the 'ol Catholic guilt in place.

In those days, we didn't have credit cards - we just used Dad's name for credit. With Mom's permission, when I was in high school, I'd stop in at Seufert's - a clothing store. When I'd want something I'd just tell them to charge it to Dave Bullock. Hell it worked pretty much all over town! We joked in later years that we were going to visit Deter Chevrolet (Don Deter was one of Dad's best buddies) and "Dave Bullock" a car.

Creston isn't quite that "user friendly" though I can "Leslie Goldsmith" at the vet clinic and they'll send me a bill at the end of the month. I enjoy seeing folks I know all over town - the grocery store, and at restaurants where they know what I like to drink. Diet Coke at Elms Club (it's lunch time for gosh sakes) and Lemondrop martinis at A&G - or perhaps Amber Bock.

(They're in for a shock at A&G though cuz I have decided to take a lil break from alcohol for a few weeks.) My foot is in this damn boot and I don't really need any extra calories to work off later. Plus my liver has taken quite a lot of punishment this past few months and it needs a break. I CAN have fun and not drink (she recites to herself).

While I'm not all that gung ho about the Catholic church these days, I still find comfort in going to church surrounded by so many people I know and who know me. Plus the rituals and bad singing. I've watched some of those people go from high schoolers to parents. And they've watched me go from a young parent to....a mature empty nester.

Living in the Des Moines area, in the big city, during the week has its benefits. So many stores and restaurants at my fingertips. A nice library and walking trail in Waukee. But for now at least, my heart (and my honey) are in a small town.

2 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

so...

how come i can't say "i got drunk last night" but you can tell stories about drinking multiple lemon drops, having the spins at wicked and puking out of donnie's car on the way home from the bar. these stories do prove that i have a cool mom, but i think it also proves that i should be able to say the word "drunk" in context of my weekend without getting verbally reprimanded. so there!

lgold said...

Good point. Guess that's why I'm taking a "drinking break". Trying to be a role model for you.