Monday, November 2, 2009

The Soaps


Daytime soap operas seem to be on their way out. But Joan and I are watchin' TY&TR tonight on some cable re-run channel. My God the plot is weak - even weaker than regular TV! But oh- back in the day we did love our soaps.

Our first love, in college, was General Hospital. Jane, Sal, Vic and I would perch around Jane's 13 inch black and white TV. Luke and Laura were the stars of the day. We even stretched an extension cord out to the deck in front of our apartment so we could lay out and watch the show.

Then when I joined the working world I began watching All My Children (aka All My Kids) because I could see it over my lunch hour. And face it, with Soaps, you can watch 15 minutes and pickup an hour of action. Lots of actors and actresses have gotten their starts on soaps. I remember when Kelly Ripa got her star on AMC. And her husband Mark.

Night time soaps caught on back then too - Dallas, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing, Dynasty. We watched all of 'em. The drama! Was there ever a more evil character than JR? Okay that guy on Dynasty was close - John Forsyth? And the cliffhanger - what tension. Who shot JR? I don't even remember.

2 comments:

Thea said...

It took me quite a while to figure out TY&TR!! duh!

lgold said...

It's a lil brain quiz for us oldsters. Trying to keep our brains nimble...