Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cartoons


I'm just a big 52 year old kid. I love cartoons. Why aren't Looney Tunes on TV anymore?

I'm reading a Greg Hurwitz book "Trust No One". In it, the main character, Nick, an emotionally damaged (those are my fave characters - flawed but good people) main character loves Looney Tunes. He says, on page 41, "...I love how Acme makes everything from flypaper ot disintegrating pistols. I love how when a character goes through a wall, he leaves behind a perfect silhouette. I love how steaks are always shaped the same and make everyone drool."

"I love how no one really dies."

Bugs Bunny is a good one - along with Wile Coyote. I like Foghorn Leghorn - "Boy, I say boy." And that little chickenhawk with the glasses. I love Tom and Jerry, and that big bulldog - Spike and little Spike. The housekeeper - we never see her head, cajoling Thomas. I love it when their eyes pop out of their heads.

My all time favorite though are the Tex Avery cartoons. The ones with the wolfy character - who whistles at the hot lady singing on stage, his heart pops out of his chest, his car turn corners bending in the middle. And then there is my all time fave, Droopy. Mr. Understated - always deadpan, calm. After all the evil things the wolf guy does to him Droopy says, "I hate you." Very calmly.
Utube has the best Droopy cartoon here - linked it here - Deputy Droopy.

I like some of today's cartoons - Family Guy, the Simpsons, even South Park. But those are not family shows. The old cartoons are not politically correct - I know. But they are still just silly funny - things we can all laugh at. I miss them.
Sunday morning update: Damn - just finished the book. That Hurwitz is my kinda writer. Haven't read a "can't stop reading" book for a long time. Love his character development and pace. This book would make a great movie.

No comments: