Thursday, November 12, 2009

Rammy

Males can get sort of rammy. I also call it "testosterone poisoning". They sometimes to unexplainable things when under this spell.

There is a cardinal who lives at our house who has been rammy for the past month. I wish he would get him a birdy girlfriend and leave my windows alone. Mr. Cardinal stays busy nearly every day ramming into all the windows in the back of our house.

The first time it happened, I didn't know what the noise was and it was bugging me! I was working at home, sitting in my usual fave chair pointing towards the front of our house. I wondered if the frig was having issues. I was bewildered. (don't you just love that word?) What was that irritating noise. When I looked around the kitchen - and saw nothing! So I sat down and it started up again.

Then I finally saw it - a flash of red by the kitchen window. A male cardinal - fighting himself! He has got to have brain damage by now, or at least a concussion or two. Today when I looked out, there he was in all his red splendor. There was a male Blue Jay watchin' him goin "man, you are dumb!" Paul has done a great job of planting habitat around our deck. The birdies love it! Several sparrows watched in horror.

Boys, like birdies are often rammy. Jud often had mega slumber parties for his birthday. They always involved competition. When we first moved to this house, the basement was unfinished mostly. Jud and his buddies set up forts with pillows and split into two teams who would fling giant stuffed french fries (yes, and Aunt Cindo gift) at each other. Sometimes they'd get way too rammy and I'd have to go down and break the game up. (I know...fun-killer).

Here is the big question. Why can most men learn to curb their aggression (or maybe don't have that level in the first place), but others can't stop it? I ask this when yet again, a woman has tried to escape an abusive man - in Des Moines this time but it happens everywhere. She ended up dead. Restraining orders count for nothing. There is no way to escape. The man had abused other women. He couldn't, wouldn't stop. So he killed his child's mother. Nature and/or nurture?

1 comment:

mary said...

I heard that nasty bird...and then saw it! When I was staying last month, I heard that noise and looked through the office window...and he came right at me. Isn't there something you can cover the window with so that he won't see himself? I think that's why they do it....oh men!!! m