Monday, November 9, 2009

My first buddies



Moose (with pipe) and Steve showed up at one of our parties in their suits, just to freak us out. Vicki's mom Barb sewed us these aprons after. Don't you love the 'fro look on me?


I never really had guy friends until I met Moose and Steve. Tommy Buck doesn't really count - he lived near our house and I mostly like him because he had guy toys - little green army men etc.

My sophomore year of college was when Moose and Steve were lined up to be our flag football coaches. Steve Hauser (also known as Stevad, just to make his name a bit Iranian in order to drive him wild). Moose's real name is also Steve. But his first week of school he was deemed Moose by guys on their dorm floor - Stevenson House in Birch dorm. Stevenson also boasted Dairy Cow, Den Rat (or Dirger), Pig Farmer, and don't forget Shit for Brains.

Stevad was a very intense football coach - drawing up new plays during the week. Moose was more about teaching blocking techniques. We quickly became fast friends with those two guys. Hauser and Sally had a brief romance, but as with many of Sal's romances it was doomed. Sal liked the Bad Boys and Stevad was just too nice. Moose and I "hung out" a bit, mostly at the end of Stevenson House parties when I could finally talk Moose into dancing. After lots of beer.

By our junior year, they were our guy friends. We always knew when they were visiting our apartment because they would trip the breaker for our power. Click. Dark. They loaned us their good stereo and bitchin' albums for one of our parties. They hated disco though so we couldn't play any disco on their turntable.

The spring of our junior year (they were seniors) they surprised us by deciding to go skiing in Breckenridge with us. Five gals, two guys. It's nice having guys along -talking us into going up the poma lift and skiing the very steep Horseshoe Bowl. Wouldn't have happened without them to spur us into it. They took away some of the bitchiness factor you can get with a group of chicks.

Moose and Steve each went to school the fall after their senior year - they were Super Seniors. We were glad they were still around to hang out with! By then I was dating Pablo the fabulous Pool Boy, Vic and Fred with together, Sal was dating he who shall not be named, and Jane might have been dating Stan. The guys got along well with the other men in our lives. I always think of those two this time of year as they furnished a 26 pound turkey (purloined from a frat deep freeze) for my first Thanksgiving meal cooking experience. Okay Jane was really in charge but I'm sure I helped...

After graduation we could have easily lost track of our buddies. Hauser got a job far away - in Florida I think. Moose worked in Ankeny and became pretty good friends with Fred since he and Vic lived in Ames. We all saw each other several times a year.

I've said many times how much I appreciate my sisters, my homegirls and my dear girlies of old. But I'm sure glad I have guy friends.

No comments: