Monday, November 16, 2009

Memory by committee

Saturday demonstrated the power of a group. One of the tough things about aging is the increasing problem remembering stuff - often names. It's very frustrating - knowing just who you mean but you can't quite put your finger on that name.

At Saturday's tailgate, Deewidget (that's what I call Dwight Conover, my neighbor the banker). Dwight calls me Laster. I used to work for him at FNB - First National Bank in Creston. That was my first job when I moved to Creston. I was thrilled to just get a job - new in town and all. I started in bookkeeping - it was kind of a comedown for somebody who had a career before baby.

FNB was a great place to meet people, and learn the names of people around town. A great crew of women worked downstairs with me running the proof machine coding checks in batches. Sandy Hysell, Cathy Lacina, Pam Grey and Jody Krings. We laughed a lot, and talked about our kids. Once each month we stuffed statements, chatting about who was who.

Deewidget was the big boss - he and his brother bought the bank a couple years before I started working there. He's a good guy who likes to give people crap. When I was pregnant with Jud, he teased me about my stretchy pants. I told him they weren't any worse than the Sansibelt pants he wore!

Anyway Dwight and wife Marilyn tailgated with us Saturday, along with McKims and Higgins. Dwight was trying to remember the name of the Priceline guy. Cept he didn't say the Priceline guy at first, he said "that guy from Star Wars, you know what's his name." That was followed by speculation about who he might be talking about, before we finally settled on (damn I just forgot it again and had to Google it) William Shatner. I'm going to have to retire with a bunch of my buddies so they can help me remember shit! Memory by committee.

No comments: