Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day



Wayne Bullock, David Judson (my dad), Adnah David with Wallace (my gramps - Bubba) in back


Mom and Dad - so young!




I never thanked my daddy for his service to our country. I kinda took it for granted. He served in Korea during 1952, after my sister Susi was born. Mom and he got hitched in 1950 while they were students at the University of Iowa. (I know - hard to believe I come from a long line of Hawkeyes. My grandparents, Wallace and Zora met at the U of I too).

After Dad died I got a better idea of Dad's time in Korea when I went through his stuff while my sisters and I cleaned out his condo. That stuff was one thing Pat2 (his 2nd wife) didn't get rid of when she re-did the condo. Dad didn't see any front line action in Korea. He helped organize things at the base. His stuff came complete with a menu he put together for their Thanksgiving meal.

Dad finished up his high school years at a military school named Kemper in Boonville, Missouri. (Something about a tipped over outhouse and bad grades) Back in the mid 1940's several young men from Atlantic and all over the midwest attended Kemper. In fact one of my dad's classmates was George Lindsay - Goober Pyle. Austin Turner who grew up to be a mover and shaker in Corning also attended.

Dad was a ROTC when he got to the U of I. He and Mom lived at an army base in Georgia when they first got married. Then he got shipped out. Mom and Susi spent quite a bit of time out in California at my mom's sister's house (Aunt Dorothy - ISU grad) Once he came home, they moved to Atlantic where he began to work at my uncle and grandpa's store - Bullock's Department Store. The original Bullock's was in Anita - started by my Great great Grandpappy Adnah David Bullock - Civil War Veteran who lived until 1941.

Along with Dad's army stuff, I ended up with much of Adnah David's Civil War stuff. When I was little, it was kept in the Ethan Allen chests of drawers in our formal living room. Of course being the little Nancy Drew that I was, I investigated that stuff. There was a small starter pistol among these effects. Complete with a metal container full of gun powder. One time I messed around with it all for a while and aimed it over my head, pulling the trigger. A loud bang resulted, scaring the sh&* out of me!

I'm thankful to all the Armed Forces and Veterans out there. Now, more than ever I understand your sacrifices.

No comments: