Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Inspired by my young friends


Frosh year - left to right Vicki, me, Loraine and Jane below - with our fave wine, crackers and cheese
I picked up a nonfiction book today at the Waukee library. It's out in the car and I don't recall the exact name (and I'm too damn lazy to go out and look at it). Ah it's Bill Bishop's "The Big Sort". But it's about how we're all beginning to separate into groups who all think alike and support the same causes, making us less able to tolerate those who don't think like us (that is what I think the author is going to say - though I don't know for sure as I've not yet cracked the cover).


I've seen a few articles along this same theme lately - perhaps because of this very book. Interesting. One was an article about college roomies - how there's a service that matches you up so that you can get someone who fits you like a charm. If you're a neat freak, you don't have to deal with messy Bessie. Perky Morning Paula doesn't have to be kept awake by Night Owl Nellie.


Except in my dorm we had real life situations - such as someone being awakened by her roommate having sex in the next bed. Eeew. And some being chastised for being too loud at night - their roomate would order them to silence by demanding "1.2.3. QUIET!" Like she was their mother. We could talk about that stuff for hours to avoid studying! It was great fun, complaining about roomies.

My first roommate Loraine Dunn was my total opposite. I remember being a bit disappointed to get matched up with her by the random roommate service at ISU. She was a non-athletic junior from Illinois - a Mormon, in child education (or some such) major vs me, a jock frosh Catholic from Ioway majoring in Animal Science (at least then). Nothing in common! She put pasty Merle Norman cold cream on at night - like 50's women!

Along the way, the strangest thing happened. Loraine and I became great friends! While all my other friends were having huge roomie issues - even the ones who had planned to live their roommates and were from the same hometown - they had issues and we got along swell!


Loraine got a late night phone call one night, and we ended up staying up late talking about all sorts of stuff. I got to know her better and learned her cousin from Utah had been killed by Ted Bundy. She told me about an ex boyfriend. (Loraine had a boyfriend??)

Yes her parents were strict Mormons who wore the under garments and didn't drink Coke. Loraine liked to drink wine. She had a funny laugh. I even took her home to Atlantic a couple times.

We didn't live together my sophomore year - she met a group that fit her better to hang out with. I lived with my best bud Vicki. But we stayed friends and we stayed in touch for a long time. I got a Christmas card from her a few years ago - she's an Associate Professor of Early Childhood Education at the University of Oklahoma. Yep, she learned a great deal from me. haha
I look forward to reading this book - whatever it's called. I'll fill you in when I know more. In the meantime - I'm glad I hang out what some of you more conservative types - even though you watch that crappy Fox Channel. It expands my horizons to know you - and helps to make you more tolerant to know a wild liberal like me!

No comments: