Monday, September 6, 2010

Melancholy baby

Jud and roomie Pat load up on food at last week's ISU game.

Despite the 3 day weekend, I've been feeling melancholy all weekend. I don't even know why. I can take a guess - Labor Day weekend marks the end of summer, along with Dad's birthday.

I miss Dad a lot. And many holiday weekends friends get together with family. Not us - we're orphans. And we live far away from most of our family. Self pity inserted here. At least Jud came home for the weekend - he missed us so. Plus his roommates all left for the weekend, so he decided he could do laundry cheaply at Mamma's house. And eat.

Regardless of the reason, it was nice to have the big lug here. He and his dad chatted about sports (shocking, I know). He ate a Jethro sized portion of steak Saturday night, and 2 hamburgers last night. We took him shopping at Jordan Creek in DSM yesterday and bought him a few clothes. We went to "The American" a George Clooney movie that turned out to be an artsy dud with sex scenes no Mom should watch with her son. argh.

He took off pretty early this morning, anxious to get back to Ames for....not sure why. Perhaps he was anxious to study. Once he was gone, I wasn't sure what to do. And I still felt...sad. Why? The only thing besides missing Dad/family that I can think of is the tough of winter now looming large.

Last winter was so very brutal. And long. I can hardly believe I survived it! But hey I'm stronger than I realize.

Perhaps my one remaining ovary is pumping out a weird combo of hormones, causing this strange mood of mine. Regardless, I must snap out of it. Tomorrow is another day. My new supervisor starts at DNR - her name is Jennifer Wright. I look forward to meeting her. Bring on the work week. My honey is coming to town to stay with me while he attends a meeting. And I'm getting a massage tomorrow - working on that tailbone issue from a couple weeks ago.

Stinkin' Iowa winter will not ruin my fall!

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

eat some ice cream! are you sad cause you miss me too?