Saturday, September 4, 2010

HS Football

Pablo and I went to Creston's first home football game last night. It's just not the same when you're kids have graduated. It was a close game - the other team scored with less than 30 seconds left to win. No heart pounding for me.

I was just thinking - "I'm getting chilly - please don't let it go into overtime". Yeah, big fan I am. And Paul and I decided the skill level just isn't what it used to be. Of course we didn't have any rose colored glasses on when Jud played. Ha! I bet parents through the years have said that same thing - it's just not as good as it used to be.

Now that Jud is a senior, there isn't anybody left that he was in school with. The only kids we know are siblings of kids we know, or children of friends. It's a whole new group. Very strange. Another sign that we're old!

Going to watch the Hawkeyes this a.m. on TV. Of course the big matchup of ISU/Iowa is next weekend. On paper (and in the mind of most sane people) the Cyclones don't have a chance in that game. Iowa is in the top 10. ISU wasn't exactly dominant in beating a MAC team Thursday night. But we're Clone fans - we can always hope! And if we lose - we're supposed to. Let Ferentz earn his $3+ million/year.

Hawk fans seem to be especially vocal this year - they had a great season last year, which brought all the closet fans out. Just hope they don't become unbearable. I don't mind the people who are fans through thick and thin. But the people who yell "How 'bout them Hawks?" in my face when it's a good year, but go quiet in bad years. Um, they suck.

I must remember my Hawkeye roots - and how much joy the school and the team gave my parents and grandparents before them. And I have to realize it's mostly some jerky fans (and a few players) who have stirred my emotions so. The people who say such hurtful things about my beloved school and wish for its demise in NCAA sports - wanting the Big 12 to fold. What's that about? Why would that benefit the state?

The holier than thou attitude many think is rightfully theirs - bringing to mind who?? Oh yeah, Nebraska fans. Will be fun watching those two fanbases feast on each other. Only problem? Who to cheer for/against!

No comments: