Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Volleyball

I attended a high school volleyball game tonight. My college roomie Jane Flack Conn and husband David's daughter plays for Des Moines Christian. They played West Central tonight. Morgan is on J.V. and the game was at 5:30 - right after work.

It was fun to see the sport again. Morgan is a middle hitter - listed at 5'9" (too bad she didn't hit 5'11" like her mama). She did a nice job hitting and serving. Jane says she's a basketball player too - kinda rare these days when many girls don't like that sport due to all the effort through the months.

Volleyball took me back to the old CHS volleyball days. Made me miss watching little Miss Famous Amos (as Dad used to call Amy) Goldsmith play. She had been playing since junior high and we knew she was pretty darn good, but not how good until she got to high school - and she started playing varsity as a sophomore (yep, Mom's bragging again).

Girl's sports were often filled with drama though! That sophomore year Amy was so worried about upsetting the upper class girls - first by taking their spot in the playing cycle. Then by setting to the wrong ones the wrong way. Who wants to piss off an older girl who has status?

One girl would tell Amy NOT to set to her if she was having an off night. Another girl could hardly jump an inch off the floor, so if the set wasn't just perfect, it would go into the net. There was one mother who used to complain out loud about the setting - right in front of me. I had to physically restrain myself from going after her. Even today I remember that every time I see that person - grrrr to her for saying mean things about my baby!

We had a few nights that ended in tears. Finally one girl who wasn't even a starter called and told Amy to chill out - not to worry about what those girls thought.

It all seems so long ago and insignificant now. But back then, it was a big part of our lives. Nights - weekend tourneys. We spent a great deal of time on the sport. Just ask Jud - he got sick of it! I'm glad I'm not doing it now like Jane is, but sure enjoyed it then. It was fun living vicariously through the successes Amy had on the volleyball court - since I didn't get a chance to play that sport in high school.

Sure was fun to see Jane and her sis Susan was there at the game too. I love those ladies - makes me wish I could see them more. But you know how life is...she's busy with her kids. I need to plan a Big 4 (Jane, Leslie, Vic and Sally) gathering. Wonder when Sal will be back next?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are really enjoying watching Sarah play this year. Not as much drama so far but it is hard being the lone frosh on a sophomore team, especially when your friends are on the frosh team! Love those indoor sports......soccer games start on Thursday! Oh joy---love my boy but not outdoor sports!