Sunday, September 5, 2010

HS Football when I was a kid

My dad always loved football. This is in honor of his bday yesterday. When I was little, I remember Mom and Dad taking us to Atlantic High School football games. In small town Iowa, high school football is a big deal - especially back then, before the invention of cable TV (even color TV), iPods and game systems. It was the only game in town!

We'd bundle up, and walk the 5 or so blocks to the high school. The folks would have their wooly black and gold Hawkeye blanket. The bleachers were wood back then, but it was still nice to have a blankie to sit upon or cover up with.

I was a student of the game early on - learning the rules and who was doing what. I often got to sit with Robbie Dob, as I've told you before - friend since age 3 or so. Another entertaining aspect what the cheerleading squad. Big girls in flashy black and gold outfits yelling up a storm. The whole crowd would participate (or so it seemed). Felix the Cat was my favorite (I loved that cartoon)

They'd cross their hands behind them and march one way and then the other chanting: Felix the cat, the cat, the cat, Felix the cat, the cat. He wants to know, he wants to know: are they going to win? NO! The repeat - are we going to win? YES!

And every one's favorite - We've got spirit yes we do, we've got spirit - how 'bout you? Such fun! And Atlantic was always pretty good. We had Eddie Podolack - and bro Charlie, both went on to play at the University of Iowa. And Ed ended up playing pro at the for the Kansas City Chiefs. Town pride, cheering, popcorn, seeing friends, being with my parents. What more could a kid want?

No comments: