Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Young kid

That's what my dad called thirty somethings when he was my age. Now I think of them that way. Anyway - I have two stories of young "kids" who inspired me today.


Alex Moon - one of my Supervisors I traveled to Clear Lake at O dark:30 this a.m. to attend a 7:30 a.m. meeting. I like traveling with Alex. Besides talking shop, he's fun to talk to about other stuff cuz he's an interesting person. Early thirties - married to a gal from Bedford (my neck of the woods, but I've not met her) and a 3 year old daughter Zoey.


Alex likes to learn knew things and he is a master of many. He is a good builder man, knows car stuff and even computers. He comes up with things like - he prefers not to converse by email. So he pops up at my cubicle to discuss stuff instead of trading emails. Today he said he's decided he doesn't think about his food and cook enough, so he's not eating meat right now, which forces him to plan more. He was telling me they make burgers with this vegetable protein stuff.


After we got home from the meeting, I had a haircut scheduled with Sarah Darby at Sahar here in West Des Moines. Sarah is another 3o something - married to Lucas with 2 boys - 5 and 2 years old. She cuts lots of Crestonite's hair - which is how I found out about her magic!


She doesn't chat about the usual haircut chit chat. Today she gave me crap about the Hawk football victory of course - an inside joke because another of her former customers quit her - Sarah teased her about the game regarding last year's Hawk victory. (ya see we Clones have very thin skins after all these years of getting picked on by meanie Hawk fans)

Last time I got my hair cut, our mutual friend Diana's mother had just died, and Sarah said she felt badly that she had made Diana tear up when she saw her last week and asked her about her mom. I told her that was okay - we all have so many tears we need to cry. And that I felt bad about making Dee cry at her Mom's visitation - as she was doing so well until I got there.

Sarah said Diana cried when she asked her if they had done anything with her Mom's stuff at her parent's home yet. Then she asked me about my experience when my mother passed away in 1997. That's not your typical hairdresser convo right there. Anyway - I told her that Dad had wanted it cleaned out right away.

We four girls did that as he wished. We laughed. We cried going through our mother's things. Each of us chose some things of hers that we wanted. I wear a gold wedding band she had in her jewelry box. It was from her beloved Uncle Lloyd - he'd married a woman who had lived for only 2 years - their initials are inside. I also got her fave cardigan complete with kleenex in the pockets, and her rockin' blue suede bell bottoms circa 1975.

After that Sarah shared with me that she's reading a book by a guy who talks about what we're losing in this world of technology. She wants to remember how to connect with people on a personal basis. Plus she makes my hair look great! I only wish I could make it come out that well.

Two "youngsters" growing and learning. I like that. I like to be around people who are not afraid of change - or maybe their afraid of it, but do it anyway. Sarah and Alex are fun to be around.

No comments: