Saturday, September 25, 2010

It was a dark and stormy night

Geez - I've been a busy gal. Work has been crazy busy - who knew garbage could cause one to work this hard!?! I told you all about the pilot project I've been working on - Environmental Management System or EMS for solid waste planning areas.

We have been doing a year-long project with six solid waste agencies - they're trying out being an EMS. We hired a consultant to help lead them through this process - it's a whole new way of viewing all the systems they deal with - trash, recycling, water quality, greenhouse gas, education and organics. There is more to it but I know blah blah blah.

Anyway - we're nearly to the end of the year and area thinking of what happens next. The EMS Council who oversees this project along with my department, decided it would be good to do a short video promoting the project so that other solid waste planning areas will consider becoming EMS in the future.

DNR has a Communications Bureau who gave us an offer we couldn't refuse to do this video. We wanted it done in time for the big fall trash conference in early October. I first met with Communications in early August to talk about the project - a teeny tiny young woman who is a graphic designer (she works with our department frequently) and 2 videographers whom I'd never met before. Crusty older guys - more like my age.

We set up a tentative filming schedule for each of the 6 pilot area locations and I had a bare framework for what we wanted to say. Now...all these weeks and several snafus (dead camera batteries, filled video cards) later, it's time to put the video together. Needless to say, I - there person that has never put a video together before - should not be the person ramrodding this project. Hell I don't know what I'm doing!

So I had to have a mini-meltdown - not really but I did go to my new Supe Jen and told her all about it. Then I dropped her name downstairs at Communications. That and the due date got things doing! I spent several hours sitting in a cramped video room logging video clips Thursday.

Then I met with my new Supe to talk about my job - to explain what I do. That ended up taking a couple hours - I could have talked longer. I love what I do! She's very interested and hands 0n - much different from Al, my former supervisor. It will be a change learning to work with someone who is into what I do - I will enjoy having someone to "have my back".

I took off in the rain from work a quarter to 5 for a 6 PM meeting in Osceola. Yikes - emotion, controversy, naked ladies. Okay there were no naked ladies, but it was a stress filled meeting with a city and the rest of the county feuding about the future of the solid waste in the area. Raw emotion! My other Supe Alex was there along with an Engineer Mick from DNR. Plus about 7 board members and 10 people in the "crowd".

When the meeting was over Alex and I grabbed a bite at the cafe across the street - he's still eating vegetarian so he went with the fried platter. I had lasagna - my first break of the day to eat. The drive home was awful - windy, dark and rainy. Hard to see. I didn't get home until 9ish. Pretty much a 14 hour day - I was beat, but love what I do!

No comments: