Sunday, September 12, 2010

critters

The critters are after me! After church this a.m. we headed to HyVee for a few things and to take bottles back (hey, Iowa is a bottle deposit state - I wish more products were forced into stewardship like that, but that's a whole 'nother topic or two).

I looked up and there was an icky grasshopper on the inside of the car window. I HATE grasshoppers. They used to get on me when I was riding my trusty steed Jack. They were so damn clingy. Lucky we were at HyVee by the time I saw the little bastard and Paul got rid of him for me. (a nice perk to being married)

A bit later, when I was getting ready to settle into one of my happy places - my deck, I opened the container we have on the deck where we keep our cushions. Eek! A small toad was hunkered down in the edge of the box. He was as scared as I was - and hopped away.

Took me back to when I worked at the landfill and my desk was in the big warehousey part of the building. I kept finding piles of poop on it and was paranoid thinking there was a rat out there. It was a landfill after all! There was even signs of something being all the way on top of my computer tower which was on top of my desk! Then one day I moved my keyboard to clean and a giant toad hopped.

I about left a big pile of poop right there and went screaming in for help from the scale attendant. When we got back, the critter was gone and of course they thought I was nuts. Finally a few days later he was back. That little bastard jumped on the chair up to the desk and then up on the computer. Amazing. Toads aren't all that scary except when you're not expecting them. And he was big and squishy. And full of poop.

Nature 2 Leslie 0

No comments: