Saturday, September 11, 2010

Damn those virus writers

I got a virus first thing this a.m. The computer kind - so I can't complain too much. I know people who are actually seriously ill. So while I can't refrain from bitching, I know I'm lucky it's just a damn machine.

I got online and perused my usual sites. I read one guy's post about a "security hoax" he'd gotten - a virus. Next thing you know, I was getting the messages, and couldn't get online.

Decision time. Should I spend house trying to figure out what to do? Or should I bend over and pay Dell to help me out? Called Dell - paid the big bucks. $239 for a year for any computer in our fam. Just in case Jud, Paul or our desk top get it or any other software issue.

Then I spent 2+ hours online with a friendly guy from India. He took control of my cashola and then my laptop and rid it of the pesky files and changed everything back. Phew. I really need to do a backup of all the important stuff...note to self!

It makes me so angry that people write those programs - pretending to be security programs - taking honest working people's computers hostage. I have antivirus software - this malicious program turned it off, and switched other things off in my beloved Delly. I'm glad it was fixed today - even if it did cost a lot. I'm reliant on my laptop.

The big Iowa vs. Iowa State football game today turned out to be not so big - for my team anyway. #9 Iowa dominated from start to finish. They looked very good - like a much better team than my beloved Cyclones. I hope we can regroup before next week's KSU game in Kansas City or that will be a long day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

malwarebytes.org
I've used this to clean many of those malicious programs off.

Hope this helps save you some cash in the future.