Friday, July 2, 2010

Wild and Wacky 4th of July

I've not been too crazy through my 52 years. I grew up during the Iowa ditch weed times you know - Cheech and Chong and all that. Reefer Madness. Lots of my classmates were into pot in high school.

Me I stuck to liquor - which, after I turned 18 was legal. But I did have a hankerin to walk on the wild side. Independence Day after I graduated from HS, a few of my homies and I decided to head to Iowa's vacationland - Okoboji. I'm not naming any others, but their initials are CD, Patti (Trish), RDob and me. DISCLAIMER. My buddies are were not privy to this whole walk on the wild side with me. They were straight laced. (though later Chris and Rob went to the U of I so draw your own conclusions from that choice...)

I decided it was time to try what many of my classmates had. So I hooked up with another mate before our trip. Knowing I was allergic to hemp - from a years ago scratch test at the allergy doc's - puffing on same was prolly a bad idea.

So we drove Patti's VW bug to 'Boji and checked into a new hotel. We broke out the cherry vodka (I know - ewww) and I lit up. I don't even recall much of a buzz. So much for that stuff. We went for pizza - I felt a little warm, and my lips felt large (normal sized for most people, as mine are thin). I was also a bit achy. When we got back we decided to hit the pool. Stripping down, I headed for the bathroom and my friends noted I had a rash on my ass and back.

Great - no buzz, but obviously - the, um product had affected me thanks to my allergy. I felt crappy. What if I got really sick? We decided I should go to the emergency room in Spirit Lake, the nearest town. Chris, I mean CD took me. I was nervous as hell - what was I going to say?

The doc asked me a series of questions - I recall him saying "Have you done anything different or eaten anything new like seafood?" My voice was shaky when I said "No!" Lying my ass off. He told me to take benedryl. Okay experiment over. Guess I'll stick to alcohol.

I felt better the rest of the trip - except my friends called me "Puffer" for my lips, not for my habits. I took it good naturedly as I always do. Okay I punched them and got bitchy but they still liked me.

We ended up at Arnolds Park - the amusement park - quite a ride, the wild mouse, with Robyn in a tube top! The Roof Garden was fun. We had a late swim in the motel pool with some crazy boys who were also staying there. It was a crazy road trip that I'll never forget!

I made the mistake of telling my sisters about my experience way too soon though. Of course Cindy (the black sheep sister) couldn't wait to tell my parents (who had totally fallen for the unknown allergic reaction story) - just to prove goody two shoes Leslie did her share of bad stuff. And now you know too. Just don't call me Puffer!

No comments: