Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sun In

The first coloring I ever put in my hair came in a kit and was called Sun In. We got it when we were in college. You mixed this stuff up (it had to be bleach or peroxide) in a plastic tub and painted it on your hair. You were supposed to leave it on 10 minutes or so.

Sun In was for brunettes like me. But Vicki, who had darker hair decided to try it too. Since my hair was so short I didn't use it all. So she used it up. Not a good idea. Her "sunny" areas turned an orangish color. She freaked out!

So for the next week or so, until she could get in to get a hair cut, Vicki was stuck wearing a do rag. Kinda funny! Unless you were Vic.

Which reminds me of a less funny story - the time I met a kid (he shall remain nameless because I can't remember his name, or face really) in the AGR frat house spring of my frosh year of college. So the next week he stopped by to "study". I found out rather quickly he didn't really want to study - he wanted to make out on my bed in my dorm room. (I know - violating the de-sexed vow in the description of this blog)

I was not comfortable with that whole particular turn of events. Hell...I hadn't even been drinking and wasn't feeling particularly romantic. I didn't know the guy. I came up with an excuse and sent him on his way.

Later I was chatting with my girlies and one of them asked, "what's that on your neck?" Shit - my one and only hickey! It was just getting nice out and I was stuck wearing F-ing turtlenecks.

I tried all the supposed remedies to fade it on my pale skin (no Internet then - had to get advice from friends). Rub toothpaste on it. Rub it with a spoon. Nothing worked. It felt like a glowing red eye on my neck. What was that guy doing down there? Glad I had no repeat performances on that - hickeys are gross!

No comments: