Saturday, July 24, 2010

Antithesis







I do believe the way we ended last night was the total antithesis of the Friday night before. One week ago Friday we were in Pasadena, CA. We started the day with walking up the street from our motel to a little joint for breakfast. Cindo was supposed to meet us, but she and Bolder got lost and couldn't find us.

Then we went back so I could get ready for the "bridal luncheon". It was hosted by me, my sisters and aunties for the bride and her bridesmaids. It was at a little restaurant a ways away from the hotel - I drove and decided it was time to shift to using the valet service instead of Pablo service. It made me feel rich. After all I was in Cali, right?

The Bridal Luncheon was lovely! But very hot - as it took place in a tent like structure with no AC behind the actual restaurant. I handle heat pretty well but even I was sweating up a storm in my summer white capris with jeweled sleeveless top and sandals. Leslie had gifts for each bridesmaid.

After a rest (in the lobby cuz the kids were sleeping in the room) and chatting with relatives it was time to get ready for the rehearsal dinner at the Annondale Country Club. I wore the dress from Krissy's wedding. Garmin got us there safely - it was a lovely setting in the foothills overlooking a pool with a wraparound deck. The city stretched out below.

We chatted with Kohans and other family members while sipping nice cocktails. A half hour later the wedding party arrived - all prepared for the next day's nuptials. There were name cards for where we were to sit. Jordan Alvillar had put together a slide show and was just going to start it when - boom. the power went out. Out, out. The emergency lights came on - bad sign. One of the California blackouts we've heard about I guess.

Luckily it was still light out. So far. It became stuffy quickly. I went outside until salads were served. Ordered the halibut. Staff began to light candles. Drinks continued to be served. As soon as we were done eating we all headed to the large deck. A few toasts were made - Leslie's brother David did one that choked me up a little. He had to use a flashlight to read his notes. Fiance Ashley helped - she's a cutie!

All too soon the night was over. We pulled up to the hotel and climbed out of the Nissan - the valet took the car. We felt rich and it only cost $12. I went to bed when I got home, but I heard some people sat down at the hotel bar.

Fast forward to last night. Funeral visitation in Creston for the father of one of Paul's peers - a longtime Creston farmer Dean Davenport. Supper at Casa with Higgins and McFees - the undersized air conditioner in that place struggled in the very high heat in humidity of the day (90 plus for both), so that was very similar to last Friday.

We decided to hit downtown (or Uptown as they call it here - I think it sounds hick) Creston where Elms Club was sponsoring Bike Night. I'm not talkin' Trek or Western Flyer. This is Harleys baby. There was an interesting mix of folk about. A decent band was playing on a flatbed trailer on Elm Street before the Adams intersection. Barbecue was on sale, along with various bevvies. It was after 8 PM and some folks were already pretty lit.

There was an interesting mix of age groups - even underage kids, but I didn't see any of them drinking. And of course the motorcycles parked along the street North of the Elms club and in the Parking area where Paul's office used to be for folks to admire. There were longhairs, wannabees, folks in leathers and more. Several of our friends who have bikes were there. Anthony's, Moellers - we saw Ritzmans and Stalkers. It was weird to see Jud's classmates drinking and smoking.

What motorheads! It was time for me to go after several times when in the middle of people talking, drinking and dancing a guy would start up his bike and burn off the back tire with people holding him back from shooting into the crowd. Stinky rubber, smoke and noise are not my idea of a good time but most of those folks rushed to watch! All I could think of is - what a total opposite night this is compared to last Friday night!

No comments: