Wednesday, July 28, 2010

In the end


You may be glad you to it came out okay in the end. Dr. Kuhl has pronounced my colon okay, with no need for re-checks for ten years unless I have problems. Yay!

Let me tell you - it was a long night. I described yesterday the preparation for my baseline colonoscopy. Drinking the gallon (I got less than half down) of the icky stuff that flushes you out was the worst part. Once it starts working - you may as well stay near the potty.

So I cleaned the mirrors and sinks. Then I read in the bathtub, hopping out quickly a couple times. When I tried to go to bed around 10:30 PM, it was a no go. Or should I say - still going too much. So I sat in the bathroom awaiting urges - quite liquid by then. Ugh.

This morning I was ready to go. Get it over with. We checked in quickly at Greater Regional Medical Center (long name for a small hospital). Emily Bruce Turner came to get us in the waiting room - yes having a procedure in you smalltown hospital is like a walk in the neighborhood. We've known Em since she was 10ish. Now she's an op room nurse who will get her Physician's Assistant diploma in December (and she and husband, high school honey Travis , have 2 children ages 5 and 3 too!).

Emily got me all prepped as we chatted and caught up on each other's lives. I met another nurse (this one I didn't recognize). Paul came in to wait with my - I was first on the docket - scheduled for 8 AM. Hmmm perhaps I needed to go potty one more time - I took my IV bag and headed in. When I came out - why there was neighbor Nancy Anthony and another nurse Becky Shields. It was like a big discussion around my bed.

But here came Dr. Kuhl and everyone dispersed. He explained the procedure to me and away he went. The nurses wheeled my gurney into the very chilly operating suite. I remember thinking - "is this where Patrick was born?" Emily and her Mom-in-Law Diana were there along with the nurse I met for the first time. The scurried to get me set. Emily shot the good stuff into my IV. Ah - I turned onto my left side while I was still able and thanked them for their efforts. (Robyn - I was "airing out my fanny" so they had access to the areas needed).

Next thing I knew, I was back in the prep area - all done. Groggy! Paul said Dr. K had reported a clean bill of colonic health - no need to come back for a decade - phew! The way things had gone lately I was a lil concerned that too would be bad news. I closed my eyes and rested some more. Then I put my clothes on and Pablo drove me home. Nap time.

It's now 5ish and I'm still feeling a bit bloated and crampy. I ate cereal and cottage cheese so far. Surprisingly I'm not starving. Hope I'm back to normal tonight - as normal as I ever am anyways...happy to have that milestone over with!

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

that liquid concoction sounds much better than being constipated. maybe i should keep some in my medicine cabinet.