Sunday, July 25, 2010

Goin' to the Chapel






So it was finally wedding day for Leslie - and her 26th birthday - Saturday July 17th. It was also the groom's brother's bday. Amy was off to the groom's aunt and uncle's fantastic abode to get hair and makeup done.

The rest of the Goldsmiths and Lefebvres knocked around Pasadena - shopping and sitting at a brewpub. It was another scorcher! Cindo and I even found old Pasadena - and breezed through shops there. Unfortunately - due to the homogenization of shopping in America, shopping is now the same everywhere! Old Navy, Gap, Crate and Barrel etc. That's why I like shopping places like downtown Northfield, MN. Different cute lil stores.

Anyway we passed the time and I bought brew pub shirts for Jud, Amy and myself - memento of our trip. Plus earrings to wear to the wedding as I left my fabulous jewelry collection here in Crestonia. Took off for the wedding around 3 PM - family had begun gathering already. Good seats - row 3, and Cali cousin Bonnie Legarra and her sis Barbara seated behind so I got to talk to them a bit before the ceremony started.

The bride looked gorgeous of course and so did our baby girl Amy and her cousin Jordan. My aunts and cousins all commented on how lovely Amy looked with made me beam with pride of course! Her hair was done in a side-do, and she had these falsies- eyelashes. Her dress fit nicely thanks to the tailor in Denver who did alterations, and the shoes, though painful (said she) were flashy. The ceremony was lovely. I was touched to see on the back of the program that Leslie had noted those loved ones not able to join us - Mom and Dad of course, and she remembered Patrick, which touched my heart!

Everyone looked joyful when it was over and the new husband and wife trotted back down the aisle. There was no receiving line outside the church so we got out quickly and I was able to take a few photos outside of couples. The wedding party did some photos too so we all went ahead to the reception - at another even fancier country club.

Alvillars had hired a wedding planner for the day and she kept things running on schedule. Dave and Sarah Kohan manned the table that had the name tags on it with each person's table assignment. We were right in front with Betsy and Wayne and Legarras and cousin Leslie and her hubby Bob.

Open bar -so I trotted right over for a vodka and cranberry juice - refreshing! There was a table with a flower centerpiece surrounded by wedding photos of all the aunts and uncles, parents and grandparents of the bride and groom - with a note saying how long each had been married. It was really touching. Those kids are surrounded by a lot of long successful (at least on paper...) marriages.

The wedding party appeared after their ride in a cable car-like bus. More photo ops. Paul got some good ones. Speeches, dances and a lovely meal. There was a candy bar, more drinks. I passed on wine and sipped only enough champagne for toasts. It's lovely stuff, but tends to be unforgiving!

Jim Alvillar gave a beautiful welcome speech - bragging up his daughter and my sister. Again I choked up. Jordan Alvillar also gave a wonderful, funny, Poignant toast. I wished I had more time to talk to all my family - but with the music (great live band) it was just too hard. I had fun dancing with the fam to a couple classics like "Shout" (Animal House Fame) and Dancing Queen with the girls.

All too soon it was time to say goodbye to everyone. I hate goodbyes! I would much rather slink out, pretending I'll see them again soon. I was ready to sleep in my own bed (or at least not sleep with my whole fam in one room), but not ready to take leave of the fun of vacation and my sisters and other relatives.

Have I mentioned that I know that we are so lucky and blessed to have a family that gets along so well. I hear about other people who can't stand each other and have long-standing feuds it amazes me. I take for granted our loving relationships I guess, and I shouldn't.

We grew up with the Lamm kids - they are close cousins. But the Legarras and Moreheads weren't all that close, so it's nice to get to know them a bit now. So nice of them to attend this wedding. Interesting to note that Bonnie and I had on the same type of dress - she seems to be the same type of low maintenance gal that I am. Is it genetic? Hmmm...

Here's to a beautiful start to Leslie and Jordan Lopez! Best wishes and all our love and support. Now the fun part - being married.

2 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

in the first paragraph, i think you meant it was the bride's groom's birthday. otherwise that would be a busy wedding weekend for the lopez'.

lgold said...

So now I fixed it and your comment looks dumb...haha And your post was from the middle of the night. Do you read my blog to put you to sleep??