Monday, July 26, 2010

The day after and...

So after the wedding, and we snuck out (kinda) without too many goodbyes, we retired to our motel. Amy was left to travel with the wedding party as we couldn't pack her into our Nissan (or she might have had to sit on Boldie's lap like the luggage).

I packed my bag, ready to head out a O dark:30 for our 7 a.m. flight out of LAX. With the unknown amount of time it would take to drive from Pasadena to there to turn in the rental car. So we calculated we needed to leave at 4 a.m. I set my phone alarm and began to wait for it to go off, and for Amy to return. Not sleeping of course.

Jud breathes very loudly. My stomach was full. I ate too much. I couldn't get comfy. Boy that was SOME wedding. It was fun seeing my fam! Gee I wonder how work went this week? I can't wait to sleep in my own bed. These were thing going through my head...but not sleep.

Amy came in after 2 a.m. Finally about 3:15 Paul and I got up, put our clothes on and got ready to go. As we headed to the elevator some other people were just heading in. The valet got our car. There was a detour on the way, but by-golly Garmin got us to Hertz without taking the 405 Freeway. There were others turning cars in at that unGodly hour. We hopped on the shuttle.

Breezed through security. I should have known we were doomed! Though we flew Continental on the way out, we were on Delta on the way home, through Memphis. The terminal was nicer than #6. Again - ominous...Our 7 a.m. flight was packed. We taxied out...and stopped, returning to the gate. Pilot announced fuel leaking from an engine.

We sat while they checked it out. Time passed. I got a call on my cell - Delta said my flight was now leaving at 9 a.m. - on another plane I asked attendant? He didn't know. We de-planed and got in line. Soon they announced we needed to go to another gate - we were leaving at 10 a.m. We'd miss our connection. Damn! By the time we loaded up again and they got the sick lady off (another drama) it was 10:30 a.m. We sat in Memphis a couple hours - they gave us $6 each (whoopee!) food vouchers. Into DSM at 8:30 PM. I was beat - so I stayed in DSM at Joan's since Paul and I had our own cars. I'm not a good night driver.

Not a good way to end a fun trip, but we were safe and sound. I came home Monday afternoon and did laundry - needed clean undies and all! And to sleep with my husband without cherubs around - nudge, nudge, know what I mean?

The week went by too quickly. I've got the traveling jones I guess.

No comments: