Thursday, July 22, 2010

Next Day





We had big plans. Ever since - well, forever, I've wanted to see the La Brea Tar Pits. I read a book recently where a chick climbed the fence and walked right in killing herself. We plugged it into Garmin and off we went.

Traffic was a bitch! Stop and go - at 9ish in the a.m. Don't those people need to work earlier than that? And the cars...they don't drive 15 year old minivans there or pickup trucks. You see a lot of Mercedes and Lexi (it's the plural for Lexus) - that kinda thing. We found it and even sprang for $7 the museum - lots of bones the dug out of the pits, that smell like - you guessed it - tar. The tar used to get covered with water and when wooly mammoths came in to drink water they got stuck - then predators would attack also get stuck and they all got preserved nicely in the muck.

After that we stopped at the next most likely place - Beverly Hills! We used up 2 hours of free parking and walked into stores we had no business shopping in. Watches in Tiffany's $41,000. Sandals in Jimmy Choo's for $595. I settled for a nice Bloody Mary at Mortensens. We sat outside on the patio and people-watched.
After all that excitement we headed back to the motel for a little rest. But I couldn't sit there long - cuz I was on vacation and it was gorgeous out!

I jumped in the shuttle with Bolder and Paul and we headed to the shopping area near the beach. I'd been eyeing the REI store near there. I had my iPod on and I shopped while the guys sat in an English Pub and drank beer. I bought some new socks - tres exciting! Then it was on to the pub for me as well. After my first drink Amy joined us and then I called Cindy just as my lovely lemondrop martini arrived. Uh huh - we were having some fun now!

We headed to the Lobster for our 6 PM reservation - I split lobster with my sis. Paul got his very own. We drank 2 bottles of wine. Amy had crab cakes. I have no idea what Bolder had. I think we were loud and obnoxious. Our waiter was very good and patient! Our bill was around $365 - Paul almost forgot his credit card! I was feeling no pain.

Our fave shuttle driver came right to the Lobster to get us. Jorge loves us! Amy walked home. Cindo and I gave Jorge hugs when he dropped us off. I deserved to have a huge hangover the next day but thanks to the miracle of migraine meds I was okay.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Please tell me you guys did a montage of trying on clothes at a swanky store, Pretty Woman-style. But I guess it's probably not as fun when you don't have Richard Gere's credit card to pay for it all...