Sunday, May 31, 2009

Walkin' with my honey

Walking with my honey - for exercise - is nothing like walking with my girl friends. This morning Paul and I walked over 4 miles in a hilly area by our house. It was a beautiful morning - light breeze and sunny.

We started at our house, and walked west, taking a loop around my favorite cemetery, Calvary - the Catholic Cemetery in town. We were both wearing iPods, cuz I knew he wouldn't be too chatty. He rarely is. At least he's nothing like my friends when it comes to words per mile! I've read where men use many less words per day then most women and I heartily believe it's true. We's just more wordy!

When I walk with my friends - when I can keep up to them - we usually start catching up on our week/night prior. I hadn't seen Patti, Susan and Deb for several days when we walked last Friday a.m. so we had lots of catching up to do! After we fill each other in, then we cover local gossip/news. Stuff that's been in the paper or on the radio. And then, the story behind the story.


Paul and I usually have already filled each other in on all of the above, so when we walk there is little of that newsy stuff, unless I think of something I've forgotten to tell him. He's very comfortable with silence, and I'm okay with it especially with my iPod filling my ears with all my favorite tunes.

This morning we walked all the way out Adams and up Dogwood to Hwy 25 and back. It was a good workout and as I said before, hilly! When we got home we headed for HyVee for a nice breakfast of eggs, hashbrowns and toast. About that time, the Sunday church crowd from Holy Spirit showed up (we went last night) and we got to visit a bit with Gammells and Kinsellas, and the Myers boys. That's what I like about living here. Homey stuff.


Now I'd better get something accomplished. Or at least go read on the deck while it's nice!


I'm thinking of my friend Deb this weekend. Her mother has lung cancer, and is terminal. She has just moved into the Hospice for an evaluation. But Deb and I talked Friday about it. There are no possible good outcomes for this. No matter what, she's going to lose her mom. I've been in her shoes - with both Mom and Dad. That's why watching someone else go through it is so hard.


You wish for a quick and merciful end to the suffering, but then feel guilty for wishing them gone. Plus the finality of it all is so tough. Once they are gone, it's forever. Deb went through this with her father too. I'm thinking of their family and hoping for some bits of peace and grace to be a part of this sad time for them.

No comments: