Saturday, May 2, 2009

My liver


My liver is not very happy with me today. You see I'm somewhat of a binge drinker. I don't drink every night, or even every week. But sometimes I over-indulge. And last night was just one of those "perfect storm" drinking nights. Oooooh doggies! (remember Jed Clampett used to say that)


It all started...(cue wavy picture to show memory at work)...yesterday. I'd had a long week of work and life in general. I made my first enemy at work (see earlier blog from this week), my car needs expensive work and I elected to do the bulbs myself, my boss told me Wednesday a.m. that I was going to have my performance review that after noon - then he ran out of time (now I have time to get nervous), my little buddy Jud (he's 6'1" ft. tall be he'll always be my little buddy) was traumatized by his summer job falling through, and I had a big meeting Friday where one knucklehead continues to make decisions difficult.


Friday afternoon I cruised home on what was turning out to be not such a bad afternoon - though chilly and not "sittin' outside" weather. I caught up on newspapers, unpacked and watched Oprah. Pablo came home around 5 and came in with a frosty Corona. Lightbulb Moment (thanks for that phrase Oprah). I bought lemons last weekend. When life gives you lemons, what does one do? Make lemon drop martinis of course! So I mixed one up. It was perfect! Yummy. So Paul phoned our friend Jeff to see what was the haps for the night? Paul told Jeff that I was now on my 2nd lemon drop and he'd have to catch up quickly - Jeff was on his way home from doing chores. A few minutes later, Jeff's wife Bobbie drove up - straight from work - she'd heard there were lemon drops to be had. So I mixed her one too. Paul started another brew.


Bobbie went home to get Jeff (freshly showered and chugging a beer to catch up) and came to pick us up to venture to the local Elks Club for chicken night. Wow - there were cars everywhere! McKims drove up while we were walking in and we got the word inside the door that the chix was gone! We decided to have a drink and ponder the situation, and sat down with McKims, McFees and Sharps. I ordered one drink (vodka/tonic/twist - Elks don't do lemon drops), and during the time I sat there two more magically appeared in front of me. Geez - I hate to be rude, so I began sipping. Sometime during the lively conversation - yes when I drink I begin to imagine that I'm am very clever and funny. I'm glad I don't have to watch a video of the reality of it! I did mention to Bobbie that perhaps we should hydrate, and kindly she brought me a water.


Sometime during this drinkfest, the Elks volunteers discovered another box of chicken but we had to wait for it to be cooked. It took a long time. Finally we ate. Jeff was determined to go to Sidetracked - a small bar on the south side of the train tracks. But nope - I was done! That was all my liver could stand (it couldn't stands no more - remember Popeye saying that?). We went home and to bed. Things were a little spinny but I managed to go to sleep. I woke up 3 am ish and took my migraine med - anticipating a dinger. Plus I drank a can of ginger ale. Paul did not pop out of bed at 4 am to go turkey hunting - he over Corona'd apparently. I haven't spoken to B&J to see how they felt.


So I've done my share of drinking for a few months. I told Paul "I needed that" - and wondered what people who don't or can't (recovering alcoholics) drink to relieve stress. He said "beat their wives". I'm glad he likes beer.

No comments: