Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Days past...



Above - 4 generations of Bullocks - now RIP at the Atlantic Cemetary



As we ready for a long weekend (pause for mental happy dance), I can't help but think about past Memorial Days. Dad's whole family, starting with his great grandfather Adnah David Bullock is buried in the Atlantic Cemetary, overlooking Nishna Hills Golf Course.






Adnah grew up in Sheridan, NY and joined up at the end of the Civil War at age 18. He headed east, and lived in Waukee (where he picked up a wife - Ella) and Rippey before settling in Anita.



Adnah's only child, Wayne and wife Lulu are there, with their two sons Max/wife Mary Lou and my grandpa Wallace Orville and my gran Zora Clayton Stewart Bullock.



Next comes Dad and his two Pats. My mom Patricia Nelle Morehead Bullock and Patricia Taylor a/k/a P2. Our baby boy Patrick is there too. So 5 generations of Bullocks, skipping my generation (hopefully for a long time). I think all the spots are gone anyways.
Adnah was a Civil War Vet, and Dad a Korean War Vet. Thanks to them and to all veterans for their service to our country. Having a son of my own makes me realize what a sacrifice it is for those who do serve and send their sons to serve.



Dad (and his dad before him) always made sure there were fresh flowers on the graves. When we were little he would take us out and we would stand there a bit looking at the stones before trotting off to see "Babyland". Creepy, huh.
Since my childhood I've always been drawn to cemetaries as quiet places I can walk, contemplate life and learn about past history. I find it relaxing to walk through reading the names and wondering what their life stories are.
I'm planning to be cremated and probably won't even have a stone in a cemetary.

No comments: