Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Review


I had a job review today - imagine that! It's been a while since I worked at a job where I didn't just do a self-review. It was kinda nice to hear from someone how they think I'm doing. Plus Al, my boss, said nice things about me. I'm kicking trash's ass. And I get a raise in a couple weeks. Can't beat that - unless I get to do this and NOT commute!

So, I'm sure you're thinking, how did you get to this point Leslie? (prolly not really but guess you're gonna hear anyway) You've heard about my career up through my job at Fox River in Osage. When Amy was a few months old, Paul began to eye other jobs with the Soil Conservation Service within Iowa - jobs that presented more of a challenge, in parts of the state that had big deer. (I know, a pretty strict set of requirements).


There was an opening for a District Conservationist in Creston - only an hour from my hometown of Atlantic, and in the same athletic conference. I didn't know much about the town, but I figured it was as good as anyplace to bring up a kid, plus it was close to my folks place. Paul got the job so we headed to town to find housing. We ended up buying a place at 201 East Prairie - a nice 3 bedroom ranch.


Paul started work in November of 1986 and I was home with a 1 year old, not knowing anyone. I didn't even know my way around. It was kinda lonely. Jobs were few and far between. Somehow I heard of a job at the bank we got our house loan from - FNB. After one interview I was hire! As a bookkeeper at like $6 an hour. A lowly job and wage for a college grad, but I was a mom. So I took what I could get.


We lucked out finding daycare with the wonderful Frank family just a couple blocks from our house. And I began my Creston career, in the bookkeeping department mostly with a group of women around my age - Sandy Hysell, Pam Grey, Jodi Krings and Cathy Lacina. They were fun to work with, and sitting around stuffing bank statements into envelopes helped me learn all the area surnames and pronunciations. Like the name Ripperger is pronounced Reebarger. Huh?


I got to know all the tellers and my "bank job" helped give me some people to hang out with. After a year or so in bookkeeping I applied to be the loan clerk (sounds much loftier than bookkeeper, right?). My boss was Dick Anderson - whom I soon nicknamed "the Dickster" as he could be kindof a Dickhead. I got to know all the loan officers and became close with Lamona - who was quite a bit older than me, but was a great listener.


After I popped out another kid (Jud was born 1/30/89) I wanted to cut back to part time, but the Dickster said nope. So I quit to find part time work - even though I had no desire to stay home full time with the little cherubs, I wanted them to get to spend more time at home instead of rushing off all the time. And we took this time to get a dog - Moki the wonder dog has been described earlier. FNB was a good first job for me in Creston.

No comments: