Sunday, May 24, 2009

Just home

Just home from our latest visit to the Atlantic Cemetery. Lots of driving for a very short time.

First we met Kay Harris at Pizza Ranch for lunch. Kay was my dad's "live in" for the last couple years of his life. She took good care of him and he enjoyed all the things he was able to do even after his stroke. So even though she drives me a bit crazy (she's a busybody), I feel like I need to touch base every once and a while.

At the cemetery, Kay had stuck plastic flowers by Dad and Patrick's graves. Ugh. Dad always insisted on real flowers. We had left a wire hanging thing on the hook near Patrick's grave that was worse for wear. Rusty and battered. It was time for it to be gone. Paul used it to secure the new wrought iron firefly to the post.

I was in a sad and mellow mood doing all this today. Most days, when I'm busy with my regular life, I don't think of what I've lost. But days like today don't allow for all the distractions to cover up the sadness I feel. I'll be okay again soon, but am giving myself permission to be sad today.

No comments: