Friday, May 29, 2009

Yukking it up


I had kind of a rough day yesterday. I had to speak at a work meeting of 100 people, including my peers, co-workers and stakeholders from across the state. I was nervous! and didn't sleep all that well the night before. Though I must say I was lookin' mighty springy in my $19 new white pants and lime green, royal blue gauzy blouse over a tee. I didn't even get barbeque on it!


A co-worker, Shelly and I were talking about an application for a new Environmental Management System pilot program we're rolling out as part of our work with a Council of solid waste professionals around the state. Since Shelly works out of her home and travels a large area of the state - up the I-35 corridor Des Moines to Mason City, we didn't get a chance to run through out part together.


I practiced what I thought my part would be several times. I visualized how it was going to go. Of course reality got in the way! Things didn't flow as I expected and that got me flustered and off my game. So I thought I sucked. I stressed about it all the way home to Creston after the meeting. I tell myself the attendees probably didn't think twice about it. But still the mental Mohammed Ali (beat myself up) the whole way home. Geez.


So I was glad to attend book club with my homegirls last evening. Best bud Deb picked Odie and me up at 7. The usual culprits - Dianne, Francie, Angie, Deb and I were there at host Thea's. Plus there was a new person who saw my poster at the library and decided to give it a try. Her name is Ramona.


This month we read "An Ocean in Iowa". It was written by an author who grew up in Des Moines in my era. So I could relate to much of the descriptive stuff in the book - elementary school classrooms, games, television. The book took me on a nostalgic stroll down memory lane.
The plot was pretty sad. The kid - whose last name was Ocean, was a screwed up kid. His Mom - an frustrated artist who lived in an era where women were supposed to be happy housewives - did not have healthy relationships. She drank and eventually bailed on the family.
I took discussion questions along to the meeting, and for the first time on a couple months we actually discussed the book for quite some time. But if you know our group - we tend to veer off into other topics easily. Book discussion ADD I guess.
But oh how we laugh! I took Odie the wonder wienie dog along. She gave everyone Odie lovin' - a wondrous thing if you don't mind puppy slurps on your face. And Thea - what a story-teller. I laugh out loud (LOL - we discussed this last night, what that stands for) thinking about her stories - usually making gentle fun of herself. And all the members are great at relating stories that often pertain to the book of the month.
Ramona - the new kid - seemed to enjoy herself! She brought along a delightful bottle of wine for the hostess. Angie brought some cheap wine that also went over quite well. Oh how I enjoy this group of women - many of whom I would never have met without the mutual love of books. We sure yuk it up!

No comments: