Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I'm a ramblin' gal


Fess Parker was Davy Crockett, Indian Fighter!
Which reminds me of the discussion in Tom Anderson's cubicle, which is adjacent just west of mine in the Wallace Building in the Big City of DM. The convo involved two guys - around my age, talking about TV shows of our youth.


To further digress, this discussion stemmed from a phone call another woman (Linda) in our department got from her mom, who is a widow who lives on the outskirts of DM. Early yesterday a.m. just outside her house a coon was moving babies around, and it was freaking her out. Linda to the rescue! Which caused Tom to say, "if I only remembered the words to the Davy Crockett song" to sing to you. Which caused me to get that tune in my head.


So the conversation about TV shows followed that. The other participant in the cubicle chat, Rodney, it seems only got one TV station where he lived in West Virginia - so he watched Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and the Walt Disney Show on Sunday nights. It's a shame he didn't get Bonanza!


We discussed how we loved those Walt Disney movies - Three Lives of Davy Crockett, Thomasina, Big Red, Old Yeller, That Darn Cat, Babes in Toyland and Monkey's Uncle are a few. Plus those nature stories with the wonderful narrator with a voice that sounding like he was talking just to me, like a kindly uncle. We watched each episode over and over. Because we didn't have options - or ADD like today's kids seem to.
I was thinking about this stuff during my road trip today - from Des Moines to Fort Madison, with a brief stop (only time to purchase a belt and 2 basic Tees) at the Williamsburg outlet mall. It was a beautiful day for a trip, and I'm driving the state's Honda Hybrid. I've used only 1/2 tank after driving 3.5 hours. Pretty cool!
I toured the Great River Regional Solid Waste facilities - landfill, recycling facility, yard waste and more. I've known Wade, the guy who runs the facility for several years. He was with Christine, Wendy and me in DM for the trash conference when I had my first blowjob - (the shot, which is quite yummy)! Then I texted my college-aged daughter about it. Such a role model!

No comments: