Sunday, May 10, 2009

Flip side

Our parish priest, Father Joe Pins was back this week. He's pretty new as priest go - is around 38 years old, and a priest for some 3 years or so. In my view he's a "by the rules" toe the party line kinda guy. Quite a switch from Father Art McCann, rabble rouser who has not run a parish for many years (perhaps because he's "out there" on church issues). Last week Fr. Art filled in at Holy Spirit as visiting priest and thanked me for my Letter to the Editor supporting same sex marriage.


This week the readings were about Jesus saying "I am the vine, but my Father is the grower". Something to that effect. Fr. Pins used that background to say God would prune back anyone not "of the vine". He mentioned topics like marriage being for one man and one woman as viney type views as he glanced my way (okay maybe it was just my imagination, but it felt that way).


Those types of views are exactly why the Catholic church is withering on the vine. You can't grow the same grapes year after year and expect them to thrive! You can't hack off all healthy grapes that don't quite taste the same without damaging your vine. You need some hybrid vigor and to change your growing methods through the years.


Just think how many parishioners our church would have if anyone who didn't follow the natural family planning only rules of the church. Not many I'm guessing. Our church is already dominated by old folks. Very few young families attend church each week - I know because I'm usually there. Hmmm - prune all those people and who is left? You might as well hold mass at the nursing homes and meal site!


I understand that the church can't just go with popular views, changing each year to fit the times. Part of what I do like about the Catholic faith is the framework and basis of the mass. But come on - the rules were made up by celibate men from the times when men ruled the world. It's time for church leaders - (not just men) to talk about where the church is headed. We need women priests. We need to have a serious discussion about condom use, and what constitutes a sin when it comes to birth control. I won't argue abortion - but I will argue our right to put our views on everyone else through law.


Me, I will continue to go to our church because it makes my husband happy. I admit often enjoy the time I'm at mass. I use it to reflect on my week, to sing and to think of spiritual things. I feel connected to the rabble rousers out there, not the party line spewers.


I'm glad I spoke out in favor of gay marriage in our local paper. I don't care if it gets me the hairy eyeball treatment by the priest or others who don't agree. I've gotten several supportive comments on my letter to the editor. I can't stifle myself.

No comments: