Saturday, August 6, 2011

Upper Crust!

Congrats to my friend Cynthia Wolf for her determination (see the photo I uploaded earlier this week above). She has loved baking, welp, all her life! Yet she's worked at Gits Manufacturing for probably thirty years - at many different jobs.

That's where I got to know her well, during my two-year stint as a production planner at Gits. In the mid nineties, Cynthia, Jeanne Piel and I were all planners - in our own little office in the middle of the plant. We became very close during those years, sharing everything.

Cynthia is also a topnotch seamstress, and she's wonderful with people and would make a fine therapist. But baking is her true love (only behind husband Joe and son Tyler). CW has baked for various shops, catering services and restaurants around town for years. But for the past couple years, Christy Whited, another gal who did a stint at Gits, and she decided to open a bakery. During all this, she still does her day job, probably mostly because that darn health insurance.
The oven is in the old bank vault

Cynthia and Christy worked with one downtown property owner, who informed them he was going be forced to jack up the rent much more than they had discussed, AFTER he took their money to do some work on his property. That set them back. Finally, a wonderful (and wealthy) couple in town decided to remodel a historic main street  building just for their business. Upper Crust Bakery and Tavern proudly had their Grand Opening this week!

Paul and I stopped in this morning first thing. Besides a hug from Cynthia, we got a tour of the facility - which includes: an oven in the vault (it IS the former First National Bank building) and a counter area where Cynthia and Christy can teach cooking classes. Plus those glass displays of delicacies! I selected rhubarb coffee cake and Pablo got peach pie. Cake balls were a free gift, courtesy of Grand Opening week. The coffee cake was so rich it made my teeth ache. Yum!
Paul and I had a nice chat with CW - catching up a bit. Tyler is getting married! We're Facebook friends, and my life is an open book between FB and this blog...so she knows most of what's happening with me. But you can't hug on Facebook!

I'm so glad I got a chance to see her new store - and happy Creston has a quality establishment like the Upper Crust. But most of all, I'm proud of CW for her determination - to pursue her dream!

No comments: