Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Massage

I had a massage today. Yum! Before she started, Christine - the masseuse, wanted to know if any of my parts were sore. Nope! It was a legit question, cuz I did go to see her the first time right after I fell on the stairs at Joan's and broke my foot. Another time I saw her right after I flew ever so gracefully off a lil step stool whilst dusting in the kitchen. I had placed the step stool on our bamboo floor and it slipped out from under me...and I landed right on my tailbone. I didn't move for quite a while - wondering if I was paralyzed. Youch!

Today I was just there for a basic overall rubdown. With no benefits for anyone afterwards (except the cash tip I planned to leave her). The kids gave me a massage gift certificate (from my usual masseuse) for Mom's Day. I've been looking forward this occassion week.

Christine is a Presbyterians pastor's wife and mom of 4. Can you imagine that pressure? I only have to live up to being wife of the soil conservation guy. That's stress enough. Farmers calling at all hours, expecting me to be cheerful about said call. No dammit, he doesn't wish to speak to you about your pond.

But to be a pastor's wife. You couldn't swear or nothin! Slam you finger in the door? No F bombs. Or you'll be the talk of the congregation! Actually Christine sounded a little worn out by her parenting and pastor's wifery schedule. The fam just got back from a week at a church camp in Storm Lake - where she attended a session about dealing with being the wife of a preacher. And her kids came home with strep throat.

I almost felt like jumping up from the special massage table and giving her the once over massage. Except I'd suck at it! The poor thing needs a break. Soon though, two of the four kids will be away at college. That will help. And the other two will be back in school. And before you know it, all four will be growed up.

For now though, just listening to her reminds me how glad I am that my kids are fully functioning adults who gave me a nice gift certificate for a massage. Life is good!

No comments: