Sunday, August 7, 2011

That sucks

The canister vac is similar to the one Deardorffs and Bullocks had

I wish I had my Grandma Morehead's old Eureka canister vacuum cleaner. It was part of our inheritance when she moved into Heritage House the retirement home in Atlantic. My friend Chris Deardorff had the job of vacuuming at her house, and that fam had a vaccuum just like it. I got to see the unit in action quite a bit because she had to finish chores before we could do fun stuff. But me...vacuuming at our house...not so much! We always had a cleaning lady. I vacuumed on special occasions, but not routinely. Hmmm those were the days!

Those old vacuums had lots of suction. At Deardorffs, when Chris was supposed to be doing chores, we had fun sucking our cheeks into the metal tube. It was actually hard to pull the vacuum tube off of our firm young skin. It would make a red round mark. I could be dreaming, but I think I remember Chris saying her brother Scott gave himself a hickey with Eureka once. How funny is that!

My current Panasonic, despite good reviews in Consumer Reports, doesn't do the job (on dirt not skin) that well. And I refuse to spend the big bucks to get an expensive unit. So I struggle along, doing a half-assed job. I should shop for a new one. The tape on the frayed electrical cord is probably another good reason why!

Back when we were young parents, door-to-door salesmen would try to sell us high dollar vacuums - Rainbow or Kirby for $600! That would be like $1,200 today. One guy even came in and spilled dirt on our lovely green pile carpet to demonstrate how great it was at sucking. (is that a great phrase or what?) Payments on a vacuum? We were already making furnace, car and house payments thank you very much! I'm amazed to find out how many people I have worked with through the year actually have those expensive vacuum units. That sales guy scored with them!

If you have a newer vacuum model that you would recommend (or a cleaning person), feel free to drop me a line!

No comments: