Sunday, August 21, 2011

Doobies were muy bueno!

I'm so behind on my posts! Last Tuesday night 14 of us attended the Kansas/Doobie Brothers concert at the Fair. It was supposed to be Lynyrd Skynyrd...but Johnnie Van Zant was sick so they had to sub Kansas. Higgins, Anthonys, Moellers, McFees, Susan Grose and Brian (can't remember her new married name), Petersons, Pablo and me.

Paul rode up to DMS with Deb and Larry Peterson. They picked me up at the Marriott on Jordan Creek Road and we returned to the State Capitol where we rode the bus just like I had earlier in the day when I worked at the recycling trailer. I grabbed a quick corn dog and beer - and we ran into Bobbie and Jeff along with Jeff's sis Joanie (my roomie) and her hubbie Billy. Then it was into the concert - at the Iowa State Fair Grandstand, overlooking the midway with all the rides. After a cloudy day, the evening turned out really nice.

I like Kansas, but we just saw them last year at Red Rock outside of Denver with Amy. And I wish they would play their older stuff like Bringing it Back from Mexico. Still I enjoyed the band. Especially when the gal the seat ahead of us decided we were her new best friend. She started handed us extra beers (at $6 a pop). A guy in her row kept running down and keeping others well (over?) supplied.

In between bands we got to meet out benefactors. Large - the nickname of the guy, was from New York. The group worked at Principal and he seemed to be on a corporate credit card. I don't remember the gal's name, but she was from Ankeny. They were nice!

Then the Doobie Brothers took the stage to "Jesus is Just Alright" - my very first fave song of theirs. They played some stuff from their new album - liked that too. I need to get some new songs from iTunes! Of course they saved some of the best stuff for the end and the encore. There were 2 drummers and a violin player. The lead singers name was Johnson. They even did a good job on the Michael McDonald stuff!

It was a fun night at the Iowa State Fair.

No comments: