Friday, August 5, 2011

Oldie Moldy Boldie

My sister Cindy's husband Brian has prostate cancer. Everyone calls him Boldie - it's a childhood nickname, short for Boulder, cuz he was a chunky little kid. I'm not sure anyone in Vail, Colorado knows his real name. Cindy and Bold have lived in the Vail area for 35 years or so.

Today their home is actually in Edwards - west of Vail, where Boldie is the Mayor of E-town, a bar there. If you are a regular blog reader, then you know from my Christmas blogs, Cindo and Bolder have lots of friends in Vail. People love 'em! I think that says a lot about people. So lets get those positive thoughts zapping those evil cells...

They have a son Colby, who is 22 and just graduated from Johnson and Wales College in Denver with a Bachelors in management and culinary skills. He has a job in Vail working managing a barbecue restaurant. I'm glad he's back home now - hanging with his folks during this time.

Boldie's surgery was last week, and the bad news came back that it has spread to his lymph nodes. So he needs further treatment. We were all crushed - so hoping for good news - that the surgery would get the damn stuff! Now he's awaiting word on what his follow up treatment will consist of. Chemo, radiation, and hormone therapy are all combinations used to treat the disease.

I feel so bad for him and them. Hell I feel bad for all of us! Boldie is a wonderful guy, and we all love him. And I don't know what to do to help! I imagine they are going through stages of grief. Life as they knew it is over. I hope and pray they find the strength and grace to hold it together and fight cancer together. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated!

No comments: