Sunday, August 14, 2011

Goldschmidts reunion

That's what the fam started out being called here in the U.S. But during WWI, when being German wasn't so popular, somebody got the idea to "Americanize" the name. So there are Goldschmidts buried in the Earlville cemetery.

Regardless of what you call them, the Goldsmiths are fine upstanding peeps! Paul's brothers and sisters got together this weekend in Preston, MN. It was the second year we met in that town - nestled in the southeastern part of the state. Half of us stayed in the Jailhouse Bed and Breakfast. The others stayed in a nearby motel (with televisions and a pool). Our room at the Jailhouse the past two stays has been the "drunktank" - it features a great porch with rocking chairs and a great claw foot tub. The Jailhouse has wonderful breakfasts and I love the grounds around the place.

Friday night the sixteen of us met at the motel meeting/breakfast room for a meal. That's right - Paul's got 7 brothers and sisters. He's the baby. Sister Connie passed away in 2007 of breast cancer - she was just over 50 years old. We miss her! She was a bit of a rebel, never-married and moved away to New Mexico where she enjoyed showing horses. This years was a first - no kids or grandkids. We decided it was nice and low key that way.  I had a chance to have a good visit with nearly everyone.

Saturday, five of us shopped while the rest of the fam golfed in nearby Harmony. We hit stores in Harmony and Lanesboro - a hotbed of kayaking and biking. So we hit some cute touristy stores. There are lots of Amish in the area, so there are also some neat furniture stores. I took pics of stuff I'd like Pablo to make. (hint, hint)

When the golfers got done, right after I'd finished a really good chicken/apple/cran salad in Lanesboro, Paul headed down there to meet me. The rest of the gals headed back to Preston. Paul and I shopped the other side of the street where I found a cool "squid" paperweight rock - polished. Also picked up a Geode rock for sister-in-law Mary, as she told me a very sad story about how she'd gotten one as a child, carting it around with her for thirty years or so through her life. A few years ago someone cruelly stole it from the front of their present home in Cedar Rapids. We only got her a little one, but I thought it was cute - and so did she!

On the way to our car we discovered a splendid coffee shop with clever gifts - like rub on tattoos for old folks! Gotta have it, I said! One says "Outta Control - with a picture of Depends. Funny stuff! I'll cut them out and slip them into birthday cards for my friends. I also got myself a porcelain tall coffee cup with a sipper lid for work - to help me remember this trip!

That night we had a nice catered meal at the Jailhouse. (it wasn't usual jail slop...) Dave Fox gave Kenny a big kiss when he bestowed the Green winners double knit jacket upon him for winning low scratch at the golf tourney. It was Kenny's first time to win - very cool as he works so hard to set up the event each year. He absolutely beamed when he got the jacket! It was a nice time - can't wait to do it again next year.

No comments: