Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Tipped tea cup

I must have been 10 or so when Mom had her hysterectomy at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I remember asking Dad, "what's wrong with Mom"? He told me she had a tipped tea cup. Hmmm I guess I uterus could be considered a type of tea cup. NOT! Back in the 60's people weren't big on using proper names for organs of a sexual nature. I'm surprised Dad didn't tell me Mom had a problem with her tinkler.

Mom also had to endure several painful vein stripping surgeries for varicose veins. I am sure that had to be tough - to go from a hottie to someone with Frankenstein stitches all over her legs. Mom had to wear leg wraps for a long time after her surgery.

Back to me. After 3 hours in search of the cause of my recent female medical issues, today we have a diagnosis. I was lucky to get into see a partner of Dr. Turner who did my ablation two years ago. This was the first time I'd met this Doc - Dornbier is his name. Turns out he's the brother of Anita Studer in Creston. Small world here in Ioway. After Dr. Dornbier did an exam and heard my symptoms at his office on Westown Parkway in West Des Moines, he sent me back downtown for a vaginal ultrasound.

The waiting room at an obstetrics/gyno is an interesting place. Lots of pregnant women and their support systems - mom, husband, signif other. Lots of babies. And then there's me - a dried up old woman. I could tell the ultrasound tech was measuring something during my procedure. When she was done she told me to go back to West DM to see the Doc again. Good thing I'm enjoying my book on CD.

Dr. Dornbier said I have a polyp in my uterus. So it's NOT a tipped tea cup. Choices - hysterectomy or another D&C. One would be permanent and require an overnight at a hospital and 2 weeks off work. The D&C not as much, but not as sure a thing.

After my appointment, I felt down. I am feeling old and worn out and fat. A little pity party for myself. But sometimes one needs that. I'll get over it. But for now, allowing a little self-pity.

1 comment:

Thea said...

Dr. Thea advises the ingestion of some chocolate B.I.D. Not to make light, tho. It is tough being a gal. and you have a long way to go before you dry up.