Saturday, July 18, 2009

frantic luncheon


I had planned a nice relaxing lunch with my buddy Christine. We'd not seen each other for a while. But job reality got in the way...

It all started Friday a.m. at work. I had a meeting on my calendar for 11 a.m. with a representative from the Environmental Protection Agency. So at the appointed hour I went to the meeting room. Door was still closed, indicating she was still with the meeting before mine - with some staff from 9-11.

So back to my cubicle I went. It's pointless to start something so I sat there contemplating life (and my weekend lack of plans). Then another trip down the hall - aha! Door is now open but staff members are still chatting with Jennifer, EPA lady. So I went in and waiting, standing so they'd get the message.

They didn't get it - so some 15 minutes later, they finally wind up their Q&A. My turn. So I hurriedly explain my mission, Environmental Management Systems, stumbling blocks, goals, projects etc. Jennifer seemed very knowledgeable and actually our jobs are very similar, just on different levels - state vs. mid west EPA region.

Close to noon my phone begins to vibrate. I'm going to be late (Dave B is rolling in his grave - that is IF he weren't cremated). But I don't want to be rude to Jennifer. In the meantime I'm being rude to Christine. Stress. Finally, shortly after noon we break it up and I quickly call Christine and start jogging to the restaurant. Luckily it isn't crowded, but service isn't quick.

C and I get caught up - somewhat. When we originally made this date, I didn't have another meeting scheduled at 1 PM. But now I do. So our get-together, while enjoyable, was sandwiched in between 2 work meetings. No leisurely lunch this. I hurry the guy to get my change and off I run up the hill to the Wallace Bldg. Need to pee that will have to wait.

Then...meeting person not there. Check her cube. Not there. Break down and go to the bathroom and when I get back she's in my cube. Good meeting with her. But my leisurely luncheon had turned into a frantic one I crammed in between meetings. I know...reality bites.
After meeting number 2, I'm ready to go home. Sleepy drive back to Creston. Rest in my chair until Paul gets home. Dozing. We chat for quite a while when I finally look at him full-on. His mustache is gone! I'd been hinting that it would be nice to see just what was under there since it's been something like 28 years since he's shaved it.

I think he looks younger. He thinks he looks older and is looking forward to growing it back. Nice kisses...no bristles...

No comments: