Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Outta the nest

My little buddy roommate - let's call her K - moved away today. I'm happy for her, but it's kinda like when my kids went to college. You're happy for them, and it's time. But it's a little sad. She's moving to Clear Lake where her sig other has taken a job. K will telecommute for her present employer.

K graduated from college last spring (2008) and took a job in DM. Her longtime honey still had a year to go in college, so K ended up living in Waukee (houseville-it's a suburb of lots of houses, not much else) with her Auntie Joan, who like me lives separate of her spousal unit each week. K spent most weekends in Ames with her honey, former roommates and friends. But she didn't really have much of a life during the week.

Since she knew this DM gig was most likely a temporary thing, she didn't spend time trying to meet people her age. And the people she works with don't seem to be "friend" material. The person she's closest with there is older than I am!

K's weekday evenings for the past year have consisted of working out, surfing on the computer and watching a little TV. Plus talking to Joan and me when we're around. K was stuck in transition- waiting for a future point when her real life would start.

I'll miss having her around - it's been fun getting to know her better. But I'm excited for her! Now she and her honey can spend some quality time together. They can meet people and join sports leagues. Stuff couples do. Real livin'.

No comments: