Sunday, July 26, 2009

Guy talk

I bet Pablo misses it. Talking 24/7 about sports I mean. Sports talk fills our home when Jud is home. Paul and Jud talk about our beloved ISU Cyclones. Mostly football this time of year. Jud watches all the videos of potential recruits, and pronounces his thoughts on them. Paul asks about position, speed, size etc. Ah the patter of guy talk.

When Amy went to college five years ago, little did I know our home would become a sport stalk mecca. No chick talk at all. Fashion, feelings, emotions - they were all banished. I was living in a house dominated by guys. Basketball, soccer and even baseball talk joined chatter of NFL and NCAA. I can hold my own when it comes to general sports-talk, especially about the Clones.

Sports ran rampant on all TVs in the house too. At times I had to retire to my bedroom just to get a break. I'd read or watch the small TV in there. In the living, when the television did get a break from sports, it was tuned to "Deadliest Catch" or "Dirty Jobs" - shows like that. Though rarely I'd catch Jud watching "Top 100 movies of all time" or but Paul would make up for it by switching to some hunting show, where they whisper a lot and shoot at animals.

So it was always nice when Amy came home and the odds were evened out again. These days it's just Paul and me, and Paul's not much for TV besides Sports Center and games - so I get to be in charge much of the time, except when football starts.

Sometimes I miss the good old days when we argued about the TV.

No comments: