Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The continuing saga


of what happened to my uterus. Hmmm where were we? Oh yes, a few weeks ago I described giving birth (or at least it felt like it) in the bathtub a month ago, and then my doctor's visit where - doo doo doo do (dramatic music) a polyp was discovered in my uterus.


So after much soul searching, I decided my uterus, as good as it's been to me, must go. After all - it (with a little help from Pablo the pool boy and my ovaries) gave me three kids. Surgery was scheduled for yesterday, and we arrived early, as per Dave Bullock rules. Check in was fairly simple, and we were soon shown into pre-op.


The lab/vein/urine (I know there's a better name but can't come up with it) person was right out of Grey's Anatomy. The Sandra Oh character - oriental and stoic. Nice enough, but prim and proper. Anyway, she got the job done, and soon I was naked, save for the nice thick cotton gown that did seem to cover my ass. Plus I got to put on some ted hose - I think that's what they're called. Now I really feel sorry for my friend Vic who, due to a history of blood clots, has to wear those often.


Then we waited for the Doc to finish up with his first date. Yes, there was another uterus before me. He stopped in briefly, told Paul that after surgery I should do no housework for 10 - 15 years. My kind of doc all right! Then off he went and I got a nice shot of Versed in my IV. Minute 1 - I remember thinking - this is like my first lemondrop. Minute 2 - OUT! Paul said I was mumbling. Then I don't remember a thing until post-op. No nausea, coughing etc.


Surgery took longer than expected - due to scar tissue. You may recall I had opted to keep my ovaries if they looked good. Alas - Mr. Lefty was a dud as it had a cyst. So out it went. Let's hope that was the root of all evil and all pain will now be banished - including my shoulder issues. Before I knew it they wheeled me into a room. A private one with no comatose woman in the other bed (memory from my last surgery).


I was hungry (see my blog from Monday). So I ordered pancakes from room service - still jealous from Monday's breakfast with my buddies. They weren't real good but I ate them anyway. I took a peek at my gut - 3 new holes plus my belly button. I got an ice bag to put on them. I told the nurse I hoped to go home that night.


A tech came in to remove my catheter. Yay! Later I got my IV out. Meanwhile Pablo waited patiently. I was feeling pretty good, and the nurse took out my IV and called the Doc to see if checkout was OK. We got out of there around 9, and stopped by Walgreens for meds. Home at 10:3o. Oh sweet home.


I told Deb I feel about as bad as after one of her tough ab workouts. haha. I'm a little sore when I breath deeply - probably due to them pumping me full of gas to separate my organs. I'm wondering what will happen now that I'm down 1 ovary. Don't see the doc for a month. Today I'm taking it easy. Fingers crossed no infection! Feeling thankful for all the good thoughts and prayers. I'm a lucky gal!

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

yay! i'm so glad it's over with and you survived! (remember right before i had foot surgery, i was crying because i thought that only 9/10 people survived the happy gas?)