Thursday, July 9, 2009

New friends

I had lunch with a workmate today. Danielle (pronounced Dan-eel) works in my department in the Pollution Prevention Intern program. That is a very successful program DNR has been running for the past few years - Iowa companies get engineering interns from Iowa schools to look at all the environmental aspects of the business. In many cases the interns are doing analysis of waste streams, energy use and water use - looking for possible process improvements.

This year has been a little rougher than past years for the program. At the last minute a couple of the companies backed out due to the economy. But Danielle says this is a good group of interns. In a month or so they'll be showing us (and their employers) what they've accomplished. And they'll go back to school wiser and more employable. The company will have improvements to make when they are able to. Win Win!

I owed Danielle a lunch as she gave me a nice dri-weave DNR polo shirt she bought last year. She's a bit bustier than I, and it didn't end up fitting. So she gave it to me - 'ol plateau chest. Sometimes it pays to not be busty. Yep, I scored a free shirt so take that all you beauty queens.

We walked down to a piano bar a couple blocks down the street from the Wallace Building. We talked a bit about our background and families. Again I realize how fortunate I am to have the spouse, family and friends I do. Not everyone has been so fortunate in that department. I'm a lucky girl!

No comments: